* GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 15:39 Wolfgang Jeltsch
From: Wolfgang Jeltsch @ 2001-06-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
is there a multi-platform GUI toolkit for Ada out there, which uses native
look-and-feel by using native GUI libraries?

Wolfgang

* Re: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 16:36 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2001-06-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On 24/06, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

| is there a multi-platform GUI toolkit for Ada out there, which uses native
| look-and-feel by using native GUI libraries?

What platforms? On Unix+X11, there no "native" GUI libraries, each flavour
can be categorized as "native" (Gtk, Qt, Motif, Athena).

Gtk (through GtkAda) is probably the beast you are looking for though. Have
a look at http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/ for more info.

  Sam

* Re: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 16:56   ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-06-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

<jeltsch@tu-cottbus.de> writes:
> > is there a multi-platform GUI toolkit for Ada out there, which uses native
> > look-and-feel by using native GUI libraries?
>
> I believe that is an impossible requirement.
> The closest you could hope to achieve is least-common-denominator
> use of native features.

There are two toolkits that connect to Tcl and Tk:  Rapid and VAD.
I think that Tk uses 'native' look and feel, whatever that means.
Rapid includes only a small set of widgets, but it is very easy
to get going with.  Another alternative is to use the Ada Web Server
or cgi to produce HTML as the GUI, so that presentation is through
the 'native' browser.

Al

* Re: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 17:30 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-06-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-06-24 18:23     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-06-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B361BC8.66747869@easystreet.com>, Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com> writes:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>>
> <jeltsch@tu-cottbus.de> writes:
>> > is there a multi-platform GUI toolkit for Ada out there, which uses native
>> > look-and-feel by using native GUI libraries?
>>
>> I believe that is an impossible requirement.
>> The closest you could hope to achieve is least-common-denominator
>> use of native features.
>
> There are two toolkits that connect to Tcl and Tk:  Rapid and VAD.
> I think that Tk uses 'native' look and feel, whatever that means.

Certainly Tcl and Tk are not native to VMS or Windows.

> Rapid includes only a small set of widgets, but it is very easy
> to get going with.  Another alternative is to use the Ada Web Server
> or cgi to produce HTML as the GUI, so that presentation is through
> the 'native' browser.

A browser window is hardly a native GUI interface.
It is an application that uses the native GUI interface in an
application-specific fashion (the application being the browser).

* Re: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 19:41       ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-06-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> Certainly Tcl and Tk are not native to VMS or Windows.

I don't know what's going on inside, but when I put together a
Windows app with Rapid (which is Ada using Tcl and Tk), it looks
a lot more like a typical Windows app than, for example, the
programs using GtkAda.

Al

* Re: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-24 20:15         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-06-24 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com> writes:

> I don't know what's going on inside, but when I put together a
> Windows app with Rapid (which is Ada using Tcl and Tk), it looks
> a lot more like a typical Windows app than, for example, the
> programs using GtkAda.

Tk was changed a few years ago to support native look and feel on some
platforms, but in some areas, the Tk behavior is slightly different
(for example, regarding modal dialogs, or the text edit widget).

* RE: GUI toolkit for Ada
@ 2001-06-25  6:42       ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2001-06-25  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

From: Bob Leif
To: Larry Kilgallen et al.
You wrote, "A browser window is hardly a native GUI interface. It is an
application that uses the native GUI interface in an application-specific
fashion (the application being the browser)."

Although, this may be technically true for many of the present browsers, it
is definitely not required. In principle, a browser could be written to have
virtually all of the graphical user interface be based on Scalable Vector
Graphics (SVG) and XML entities, such as XForms 1.0. The browser can display
this material by using software supplied by the operating system vendor or
from another party. I do not believe that there is any significant technical
impediment for creating in Ada a portable browser that displays, prints and
operates with XML. Obviously, there are significant financial and other
business based difficulties that could preclude the creation of a browser in
Ada. There is one good business argument for creating a browser in Ada, many
customers including myself are very tired and frustrated by crashes of their
browser.

@ 2001-07-03 14:58         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2001-07-03 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com> wrote:
:
: I don't know what's going on inside, but when I put together a
: Windows app with Rapid (which is Ada using Tcl and Tk), it looks
: a lot more like a typical Windows app than, for example, the
: programs using GtkAda.

To some extent, a GTK+ application can be morphed into
a more windowsish one by the use of themes. (Although this
does not change the somewhat basic behaviour of the file open
dialogues, for example.)

-- Georg
---
Microsoft Windows--a fresh perspective on information hiding