From: "Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@rleif.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: RE: GUI toolkit for Ada
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:42:11 -0700
Date: 2001-06-24T23:42:11-07:00	[thread overview]

From: Bob Leif
To: Larry Kilgallen et al.
You wrote, "A browser window is hardly a native GUI interface. It is an
application that uses the native GUI interface in an application-specific
fashion (the application being the browser)."

Although, this may be technically true for many of the present browsers, it
is definitely not required. In principle, a browser could be written to have
virtually all of the graphical user interface be based on Scalable Vector
Graphics (SVG) and XML entities, such as XForms 1.0. The browser can display
this material by using software supplied by the operating system vendor or
from another party. I do not believe that there is any significant technical
impediment for creating in Ada a portable browser that displays, prints and
operates with XML. Obviously, there are significant financial and other
business based difficulties that could preclude the creation of a browser in
Ada. There is one good business argument for creating a browser in Ada, many
customers including myself are very tired and frustrated by crashes of their
browser.