From: Wilhelm.Spickermann@t-online.de (Wilhelm Spickermann)
To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
Subject: Underscore Usage (was: Type Conversion in an Assignment Statement)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:35:44 +0200 (CEST)
Date: 2001-06-19T14:35:44+02:00	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1394 bytes --]

On 19-Jun-01 Carsten Freining wrote:
> That is something, where Professor Winkler has another opinion. Talkng about
> a Program, the 'Underscore' is a problem. Telling somebody that Integer
> 'Underscore' Access 'Underscore' Type is more confusing. So he set the rule,
> that the Names in the program should be without the 'underscore'. It makes
> the Program a little less readable, but better 'talkable' what is for
> Exercises or courses a little better to work with.

I think this is a problem depending on the language used to build the variable
names. In english you can simply say "Integer Access Type" without mentioning
underscores -- this will not cause any problems. The rule to put underscores
between words _is_ confusing using languages like german (or AFAIK swedish):
Some people will write "Programming_Language" as "Programmiersprache" and some
will write "Programmier_Sprache" -- the first one is a correct german word
(containing two words) and the second one has underscores between the words (in
swedish "Programspr�k" or "Program_Spr�k").

Personally, I like to replace blanks and hyphens by underscores but never put
additional underscores into the variable name. So we have something in common
as far as "Programmiersprache" is concerned -- but I wouldn�t write
"BesteProgrammierSprache" or "Beste_Programmier_Sprache" but
"Beste_Programmiersprache".

Wilhelm