* Converting Mod types to Character types...
@ 2001-05-14 22:49 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-05-14 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
    I've got my interface to Vx thing working but i want to display the contents
of the information it retrieves.  I've got Interfaces.C.Unsigned_Char types in
an array and this maps to a Mod type in GNAT.  I've tried allsorts of
conversions between a single C.UC to character and unsigned conversions too.
How do i convert between them?  It's annoying since this is the only thing
that's not working, everything else is.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell

* RE: Converting Mod types to Character types...
@ 2001-05-14 23:30 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-05-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'; +Cc: 'chris.danx@ntlworld.com'

Since Interfaces.C does not supply a "To_Ada" function for
unsigned_char as it does for the other character types, and
you presumably aren't supposed to assume a correlation between
Interfaces.C.char and Interfaces.C.unsigned_char, then you
will have to convert it yourself.

This is assuming you're asking how to convert between
Interfaces.C.unsigned_char and character, then the simplest
way is probably:

  char : character := ' ';
  uc   : Interfaces.C.unsigned_char := 65;

begin

  char := character'val(integer(uc));  -- char is now 'A'

Is this what you were asking?

Frank

@ 2001-05-14 23:34 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-05-14 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'; +Cc: 'chris.danx@ntlworld.com'

Actually, since modular types fall into the universal integer
category, the conversion is even easier:

  char : character := ' ';
  uc   : Interfaces.C.unsigned_char := 65;

begin

  char := character'val(uc);  -- char is now 'A'

Frank

@ 2001-05-15  8:47 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-05-15  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Beard, Frank" <beardf@spawar.navy.mil> wrote in message
> Actually, since modular types fall into the universal integer
> category, the conversion is even easier:
>
>   char : character := ' ';
>   uc   : Interfaces.C.unsigned_char := 65;
>
> begin
>
>   char := character'val(uc);  -- char is now 'A'
>
> Frank

It works now.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell