* Re: RE: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
@ 2001-05-09 18:18 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-05-09 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.989428626.10442.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, Beard, Frank
says...
>However, the ObjectAda (for Windows) IDE does allow you
..
>It has most of what I consider to be necessary features:

I consider a macro facility to be necessary (ever needed to space over 4 spaces
in 300 declarations, or create a declaration for each number in another file?),
and I notice its not in your list.

>But I hate the way you open a file in emacs.  I like the
>GUI approach of popping up an Open Dialog box to allow you
>to browse to a file.  ObjectAda has a Project window that

The way I open a file in emacs is by hitting ctrl-D to bring up dired-mode on
one of the file's parent directories. Then I browse down the directory tree
until I find the file by using the 'f' or "Enter" key. It doesn't sound
significatly different.

Sometimes, using emacs' file name completion I don't need to go through all that
effort. The Windows Open Dialog has no such capability.

---

* Re: RE: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
@ 2001-05-09 18:20 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-05-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-05-09 19:29 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-05-09 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

From: Gary Scott @ 2001-05-09 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're using windows, Kedit for Windows has the best of both worlds,
either GUI or command line or both in whatever mixture you might need.
Emulate virtually any other editor, extremely powerful macros and native
command set.  Not sure if there's a syntax highlighting recognition file
for Ada, but fairly easy to create one that's reasonably comprehensive.
http://www.kedit.com  I mix usage with Visual Studio by adding Kedit to
the "tools" menu.

@ 2001-05-09 23:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-05-09 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <hSfK6.8063$vg1.667986@www.newsranger.com>, Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
> In article <mailman.989428626.10442.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, Beard, Frank
> says...
>>However, the ObjectAda (for Windows) IDE does allow you
> ..
>>It has most of what I consider to be necessary features:
>
> I consider a macro facility to be necessary (ever needed to space over 4 spaces
> in 300 declarations, or create a declaration for each number in another file?),
> and I notice its not in your list.

Although I prefer TECO (somewhat more powerful than a Macro facility),
if those 300 lines are adjacent the feature I hear GUI editor fans
espouse is "rectangular cut and paste".

* Re: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
@ 2001-05-09 23:45   ` Aron Felix Gurski
From: Aron Felix Gurski @ 2001-05-09 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Scott wrote:

> If you're using windows, Kedit for Windows has the best of both worlds,
> either GUI or command line or both in whatever mixture you might need.
> Emulate virtually any other editor, extremely powerful macros and native
> command set.  Not sure if there's a syntax highlighting recognition file
> for Ada, but fairly easy to create one that's reasonably comprehensive.
> http://www.kedit.com  I mix usage with Visual Studio by adding Kedit to
> the "tools" menu.

A non-commercial equivalent of KEdit (or IBM's XEdit) is available; it's called
THE and can be found at

	http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/THE/index.html

It's available for the Win* as well as the Un*x platforms.

--
        -- Aron

NB: To reply by e-mail, remove "spam-block." from my address.
There has been an alarming increase in the number of things about which you know
absolutely nothing.