From: "Beard, Frank" <beardf@spawar.navy.mil>
To: "'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: RE: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:15:10 -0400
Date: 2001-05-09T13:15:10-04:00	[thread overview]

Kent, I certainly agree with most of your comments.

However, the ObjectAda (for Windows) IDE does allow you
to use a different editor, but its editor is adequate.
I tried numerous editors without finding one I liked
better, so I gave up trying to find a better one.

It has most of what I consider to be necessary features:

  - the standard search/replace
  - auto formatting
  - color coded identifiers (reserved words, comments, etc.)
  - multi-line indent/unindent and auto-indent
  - multi-line comment/uncomment
  - find in files the allows you to click on the
    entry to jump to the location in the file
  - bookmarks
  - go to definition/completion (browse), unfortunately
    it has a limitation.  You can browse forward all you
    want, but it will only pop back one level.  I'm
    hoping they will have a fix for that soon.

I miss the repeat function in emacs, where you could repeat
an action anywhere in a file.  That would definitely come in
handy when we have to add an update comment to the end of
every line that we modify.

But I hate the way you open a file in emacs.  I like the
GUI approach of popping up an Open Dialog box to allow you
to browse to a file.  ObjectAda has a Project window that
lists all the files included in the project.  Simply
double click the entry and it opens it.  If the file is
not part of the project, then the Open Dialog is an easy
way to find and open it.

> I find it much easier to keep an editor window
> open, and build my software with _my_ choice of
> editors, importing the code fresh into the IDE
> with each edit and paying the penalty of no
> incremental compilation or whatever

This usually isn't a problem with ObjectAda until the
project starts getting large.  And even then, you can
open another copy of ObjectAda as an editor only.
That way the copy that's opened as the project for
compilation doesn't do the internal validation, but you
do lose the "go to completion" capability, because it
will only browse on files that are part of the project.

I don't think I tried vim.  Where can I find it?  Does
it work on Windows NT?

Thanks
Frank