From: "Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@rleif.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: RE: Ada95 and UML
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:54:37 -0700
Date: 2001-04-24T20:54:37-07:00	[thread overview]

From: Bob Leif
To: Robert Palasek et al.

The first question to ask is, what would be useful for the Ada community?
Ada specifications include a significant and very useful part of a model.
I believe that the Ada paradigm is correct--Leave the details to the body
and probably the private parts. Therefore I believe that the private part of
the specification should be omitted from a model. Since a graphical method
of describing the software appears to be useful, it makes sense to create or
preferably extend an already existing technology.

As some of you know, I suffer from an XML fixation. Actually, I view XML as
a very good means to improve Ada's use. XML has the common features with Ada
of enumerated types and ranges. Therefore the same graphical tool could be
employed to model and perhaps generate Ada specifications and/or XML
schemas. Or any one of the three could be used to generate part or all of
the other two.

This would permit one to storyboard a project. The screens including forms
could be created with commercial XML tools. The appropriate schemas would
then be created. DTDs should be translated into schemas, which are much
easier to understand.