From: Wilhelm.Spickermann@t-online.de (Wilhelm Spickermann)
To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
Subject: Re: Calendar - leap seconds
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:08:59 +0100 (CET)
Date: 2001-03-20T14:08:59+01:00	[thread overview]

On 20-Mar-01 Joseph P Vlietstra wrote:
> believe leap second support is still an open issue for the upcoming
> revision.  The reason it's an open issue is that leap seconds may go
> away.
> or may even need a software update.  Why go through all of this
> effort
> when civil timekeeping applications don't really care if UTC matches
> UT1 and most spacecraft/astronomical applications use the TAI, J2000,
> or the GPS linear timescale.

Thank You very much!

I hope the leap second insertion will be suspended for some decades.
It should be possible then, to give an algorithm for leap second
insertion for the next few hundred years...  (But this will not remove
the damage that has been done by creating a second definition of the
timestamps given as time_t or struct timeval.)

Wilhelm