From: "Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@rleif.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Cc: "Falis, Ed" <efalis@mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: Ada for Windows CE
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:18:38 -0800
Date: 2001-02-22T21:18:38-08:00	[thread overview]

From: Bob Leif
To: William J. Thomas et al.
Ed Falis, while he was at Aonix, was able to link Aonix Ada with Windows CE.
Since Ed is now at ACT, the conventional step would be for either ACT to
crate a product or for some other group to support Windows CE. I must admit,
that I do have reservations because of GNAT being available for free. I
believe that there may be a way around this. Give away GNAT, as usual, and
sell some useful low-level libraries or other tools for embedded systems.
What is ACT's policy on what I would call a sublicense for a specific
architecture?

There is an ongoing discussion of embedded tools in Ada. I suspect that one
could construct generic device driver classes (Metaclasses) that would be
much easier to use than the present commercial ones in C. I also believe
that the output to printers and graphics boards will be XML.