* Ada for Windows CE
@ 2001-02-17  3:37 William A Whitaker
From: William A Whitaker @ 2001-02-17  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the book "XML by example" there is the claim (by W3C?) that by 2002
75% of surfing will be on handhelds.  True or not, there is a lot of
that going around.  Regularly  iget requests for my LAtin dictionary for
handheld Windows CE, or even the DOS-like partitions on handhelds.

I hereby make my yearly search/request for Ada compilers targeted to
these systems.  They are becoming more prevalent.

Whitaker

I support Shakespeare and Latin!

* RE: Ada for Windows CE
@ 2001-02-17  5:41 ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2001-02-17  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

From: Bob Leif
To: William Whitaker et al.
Is a native code compiler required for these applications or will a J code
compiler be sufficient?

One of the best characteristics of XML is that it is closer to Ada than to
any of the C tribe of languages. I still believe that we need XML_Io and a
means to create XML data types from Ada specifications and the data types in
Ada specifications from XML schemas [or whatever is the correct plural for
schema].

@ 2001-02-23  2:37 ` William J. Thomas
From: William J. Thomas @ 2001-02-23  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I remember asking AONIX a few years ago when/if they were going to produce a
CE compatible compiler. AONIX in its great wisdom replied that they did not
see a market for CE.

Mind you these were the same folks who back in the 80's did not see a market
for a Windows based compiler.

WJT

@ 2001-02-23  3:40   ` Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2001-02-23  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" wrote:

> I remember asking AONIX a few years ago when/if they were going to produce a
> CE compatible compiler. AONIX in its great wisdom replied that they did not
> see a market for CE.
>
> Mind you these were the same folks who back in the 80's did not see a market
> for a Windows based compiler.

One of my students recently returned from a large Windows CE conference.
Thousands
of attendees, to his surprise.  He is excited about Windows CE for embedded
systems.
In answer to his question regarding Ada support, I had to admit there was none
that I
knew.   Well, I suppose he will be able to use C# for this someday.    It would
be nice
if there were an Ada compiler for Windows CE, but who would do the port?    RR
Software did an excellent thick binding to Windows 95/98/NT/... but I suspect
they
are not yet ready to buy a corporate Lexus with the profits from the product.
If there
are no customers for a product, why would anyone want to build it?  If there is
no
product will there be any customers for it?

Richard Riehle

* RE: Ada for Windows CE
@ 2001-02-23  5:18   ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2001-02-23  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Falis, Ed

From: Bob Leif
To: William J. Thomas et al.
Ed Falis, while he was at Aonix, was able to link Aonix Ada with Windows CE.
Since Ed is now at ACT, the conventional step would be for either ACT to
crate a product or for some other group to support Windows CE. I must admit,
that I do have reservations because of GNAT being available for free. I
believe that there may be a way around this. Give away GNAT, as usual, and
sell some useful low-level libraries or other tools for embedded systems.
What is ACT's policy on what I would call a sublicense for a specific
architecture?

There is an ongoing discussion of embedded tools in Ada. I suspect that one
could construct generic device driver classes (Metaclasses) that would be
much easier to use than the present commercial ones in C. I also believe
that the output to printers and graphics boards will be XML.

@ 2001-02-23  8:52     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@rleif.com> writes:

> I must admit, that I do have reservations because of GNAT being
> available for free.

Why?  ACT's staff isn't starving, and although there are some rumors
that GNAT had quite an impact on the proprietary Ada compiler industry
(I don't know if this is true, more me scapegoating), the availability
of GNAT has certainly benefited the Ada community as a whole.

> I believe that there may be a way around this. Give away GNAT, as
> usual, and sell some useful low-level libraries or other tools for
> embedded systems.

If I interpret Robert Dewar's part comments on related issues
correctly, this is not the business modell of Ada Core Technologies.

> What is ACT's policy on what I would call a sublicense for a specific
> architecture?

ACT is not the copyright owner of large parts of GNAT, at least
according to the source code.  Copyright has been assigned to the
Free Software Foundation, and some parts of the runtime library are
copyrighted by Florida State University.

Non-GPL sublicensing is unlikely to happen, however.  But you are free
to take the GNAT sources and port it to another target, and license
the result under the GPL.