* Ada 2005 presentation at Ada-Belgium event now on-line
@ 2004-05-04 20:57 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2004-05-04 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI.

At the Ada-Belgium evening event earlier this year, Pascal Leroy,
Senior Software Engineer with IBM France and chairman of the ISO Ada
Rapporteur Group (ARG), gave a technical overview of the most important
improvements that are currently under consideration for inclusion in
Ada 2005.

We are pleased to announce that a copy of his presentation is now
available on-line on the Ada-Belgium web pages.

Check out "What's new on the Ada-Belgium web-pages?" at URL
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/whatsnew.html>
if you're interested.

Dirk Craeynest, Ada-Belgium
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

+-------------/  Home: http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium
|Ada-Belgium /    FTP: ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium
|on Internet/  E-mail: ada-belgium-board@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
+----------/ Maillist: ada-belgium-info-request@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

*** Intl. Conference on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2004
*** June 14-18, 2004, Palma de Mallorca, Spain ** www.ada-europe.org ***

* Re: Ada 2005 presentation at Ada-Belgium event now on-line
@ 2004-05-04 22:10 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-05-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The "tree structured directories" addressed by Ada.Directories are on
their way out.  Under Windows, for instance, there's a separate directory
called the Registry (which I understand will disappear in the next major
release) and there is a (rarely used) additional directory level called
file resource forks.  It doesn't appear that Ada.Directories applies to
either of those.  It's also become rather obvious that objects need to be
"filed" in multiple ways; a single tree is inadequate.  The next version
of Windows is supposed to address this issue (searching?  relational
database?).  Ada.Directories will nicely standardize the multiple
incompatible directory operations packages of today, but that part of
Ada05 will become obsolete not long after introduction.  IMHO

* Re: Ada 2005 presentation at Ada-Belgium event now on-line
@ 2004-05-07  1:39 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2004-05-07  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

dirk@heli.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Dirk Craeynest) writes:

> At the Ada-Belgium evening event earlier this year, Pascal Leroy,
> Senior Software Engineer with IBM France and chairman of the ISO Ada
> Rapporteur Group (ARG), gave a technical overview of the most
> important improvements that are currently under consideration for
> inclusion in Ada 2005.
>
> Check out "What's new on the Ada-Belgium web-pages?" at URL
> <http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/whatsnew.html>
> if you're interested.

Note that Pascal's presentation includes a brief summary of the new
standard container library.

For more detailed information see the latest release (2004-04-29
AI95-00302-03/03) of the AI-302 draft:

<http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-20302.TXT?rev=1.5>

-Matt

* Re: Ada 2005 presentation at Ada-Belgium event now on-line
@ 2004-05-07  7:50   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-05-07  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<QxUlc.23908$_41.1696225@attbi_s02>...
> The "tree structured directories" addressed by Ada.Directories are on
> their way out.  Under Windows, for instance, there's a separate directory
> called the Registry (which I understand will disappear in the next major
> release) and there is a (rarely used) additional directory level called
> file resource forks.  It doesn't appear that Ada.Directories applies to
> either of those.  It's also become rather obvious that objects need to be
> "filed" in multiple ways; a single tree is inadequate.  The next version
> of Windows is supposed to address this issue (searching?  relational
> database?).  Ada.Directories will nicely standardize the multiple
> incompatible directory operations packages of today, but that part of
> Ada05 will become obsolete not long after introduction.  IMHO

For Windows probably "yes" and you always have Claw.Registry to use in
that case but for the bulk of embedded work this package will do
nicely. I'm guessing the same is true for Linux/Un*x/VMS but I don't
even have an Ada95 compiler for these.

Just a thought - I don't know the Windows Registry at all but from
what I've seen it is itself a tree structure. Could an implementation
of Ada.Directories (and I guess Ada.Text_IO) wrap the calls to
Claw.Registry? i.e. use A.D to traverse the Registry and A.T to
read/write actual values?

-- Martin

* RE: Ada 2005 presentation at Ada-Belgium event now on-line
@ 2004-05-07 10:56 Lionel.DRAGHI
From: Lionel.DRAGHI @ 2004-05-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

That's also true for the gconf librarie (that have the same purpose for
Gnome).

But we are maybe to far from Ada.Directories/Text_IO goals.
I would prefer a new API for this purpose.

--
Lionel Draghi