From: Marius Amado-Alves <marius@amado-alves.info>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: Wiki written in Ada?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:51:12 +0100
Date: 2006-09-19T11:55:01+02:00	[thread overview]

>>> - but it isn't beyond my comprehension! PHP is quick to write,
>>> fairly easy to understand and has intuitive interfaces to the
>>> front and back ends.
>
>     Marius> - now this is exactly the opposed of my view.
>
> PHP is perceived as being quicker to write.
>
> Maybe for small and very simple projects this might be true.
>
> However, as the code size goes up, productivity goes down, and risk of
> security problems goes up.

Yes. This is not opposed to what I said. The thing is code size goes
up very quickly. For me 1000 lines is already an indicator of "you
should be coding in Ada"--and not the large number (1000000?) seen on
some ads. Of course here we are using "code size" more as a symptom
of reliability requirements and the corresponding code _complexity_.
Also efficiency requirements. Clearly requirements for a good wiki.
In my lab sometimes we use Moodle (PHP) and the Casbah (Ada) for the
same function (writing something or collecting data collectively).
The Casbah beats Moodle in speed hands down.