From: Preben Randhol <randhol+cla2@pvv.org>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: Poll: Qt4Ada as alternative to GtkAda
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:09:59 +0200
Date: 2006-07-28T12:10:33+02:00	[thread overview]

Yves Bailly <kafka.fr@laposte.net> wrote on 28/07/2006 (01:15) :
> Hello all,
>
> I just read the thread "Answer of Request to AdaCore on licensing Status
> of GtkAda 2.4.0", in which a statement from Dmitry A. Kazakov kept
> my attention, quoting:
> "GtkAda could be reworked from scratch. It must be boring and a lot of
> work, but not much complex."

QT is GPL unless you buy a license.

> So here's the poll: who would be interested in such a binding, who would
> be interested in being able to write GUI code using a Qt-like API?

Binding are generally good. If it is to redo GtkAda as OpenGtkAda or
FreeGtkAda I would like to see something higher level than GtkAda. I
mean something that integrates much tighter with Ada where one can use
Ada2005 container directly and not have to use glibc and duplicate your
data to show them.

> Corollary: who would be ready to help in such a huge (but "not much
> complex") project? ;-)

Sorry, I've start using Python (at work and home) so I don't have time.
I have already contributed to the GtkAda which now is GPL. Python and
Ada are languages at opposing ends (dynamic vs static) so a lot is
different, but that Ada lacks that Python has is batteries. I mean lots
and lots of libraries to get things done. When Ada goes GPL only it make
only a new hole in a sinking ship.

But the real issue isn't if the GtkAda is GPL or not as long as the GNAT
compiler only can be used to make GPL code then it really doesn't matter
what license your library has.

Preben