From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: style Q: type .. is new String;
Date: 08 Jan 2004 21:31:04 -0500
Date: 2004-01-08T21:31:04-05:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@acm.org writes:

> Though I create new types regularly for numeric variables, I've only
> rarely used other than the standard String type.  That saves doing type
> conversions, but it would be nice to have strong type checking help me
> detect errors.  Do other folks use new String types a lot and find it
> works out well?

I think I've never created a new String type.

I think that's because I only use String for user interfaces, and in
that context there's not much point in strong typing.

On the other hand, I use numbers and record types to create models in
the rest of the code, so distinct types are useful.

--
-- Stephe