From: "Anh Vo" <Anh.Vo@baesystems.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>,
	"Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>
Subject: Re: Reliability and deadlock in Annex E/distributed code
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:24:34 -0500
Date: 2006-09-17T14:14:31+02:00	[thread overview]

I successfully compiled and run your original code. The important thing
is the starting sequence of partitions. That is cpart , bpart and apart
should be started in sequence. Cpart terminates first. Then, after 1000
seconds, cpart and bpart terminate. Therefore, delay 1000 seconds in
amain.adb is unnecessary. Comment out this delay, the result of the run
can complete quickly without for 17 minutes approximately.

AV

>>> "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk> 9/13/2006
4:21 AM >>>
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:31:55 +0000, Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

[..]
(talking to myself again...)

If I change function Next in b.adb so that it doesn't call A
(returning a constant instead),  there are absolutely no problems.
Only when B.Next calls A does the deadlock happen.

There must be something in BPart that isn't completing properly
when running B.Next and calling into A.  Each time the call into
B hangs, it uses up a task.  It will create anonymous tasks
to replace them until the whole program grinds to a halt :(

I've tried using gdb on BPart to see what's going on.  From
what I can tell, the key code is in s-rpcser.adb, function
RPC_Handler.  On alternate occasions, it executes the
remote subprogram or just stops.  If I could see why this
happens, I might be able to fix it...
--
Adrian