* Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-09 13:28 S�bastien Bourgogne
From: S�bastien Bourgogne @ 2003-03-09 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I work with Ada95 ( but the compilation is made with Ada83), and Windows
2000.
I use ansi caracter but when i see my exe file, i don't see the good
result!!
I can see the ansi caracters!!!

I have already change my config.nt. I've added this instructions :
device=%systemroot%\system32\ansi.sys
but there are no result!! :-(

How can i do proceed ?

thanks a lot!!

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10  0:36 ` Roger Gariépy
From: Roger Gariépy @ 2003-03-10  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are out of luck. I never found an ansi.sys that work with
Windows 2000.

You will have to write to Bill Gates and/or ask for a refund.

Roger Gari�py                  :-)   <-   :-(
rgariepy@rocler.qc.ca

------------------------------

"S�bastien Bourgogne" <sbourgo@noos.fr> a �crit dans le message de
news: 3e6b4190$0$2873$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-02.noos.net...
> Hi,
>
> I work with Ada95 ( but the compilation is made with Ada83), and
Windows
> 2000.
> I use ansi caracter but when i see my exe file, i don't see the
good
> result!!
> I can see the ansi caracters!!!
>
> I have already change my config.nt. I've added this instructions :
> device=%systemroot%\system32\ansi.sys
> but there are no result!! :-(
>
> How can i do proceed ?
>
> thanks a lot!!

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10  3:47   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-03-10  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway; +Cc: sbourgo

Here is a "trick" that will work to process ANSI terminal sequences
to provide a correct display on Windows NT, 2000 and XP.

1.  Install the cygwin dll and tools found at
http://www.cygwin.com/

2.  Run your program in the cygwin shell, or another Unix shell
compatible with Windows NT, 2000 and XP (I prefer tcsh).

3. Pipe your programs output through the cygwin "tee" tool -- e.g.:

diners | tee

The "tee" tool sends its standard input to the standard output,
and if a filename argument is supplied to tee, also to the
specified file.

The "tee" standard output processes ANSI escape sequences and
provides the appropriate display.

I suppose someone who had the time could merge the source code
for the shell and the "tee" tool to produce an ANSI compliant
shell terminal.

> You are out of luck. I never found an ansi.sys that work with
> Windows 2000.
>
> You will have to write to Bill Gates and/or ask for a refund.
>
> Roger Gari�py                  :-)   <-   :-(
> rgariepy@rocler.qc.ca
>
> ------------------------------
>
> "S�bastien Bourgogne" <sbourgo@noos.fr> a �crit dans le message de
> news: 3e6b4190$0$2873$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-02.noos.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I work with Ada95 ( but the compilation is made with Ada83), and
> Windows
> > 2000.
> > I use ansi caracter but when i see my exe file, i don't see the
> good
> > result!!
> > I can see the ansi caracters!!!
> >
> > I have already change my config.nt. I've added this instructions :
> > device=%systemroot%\system32\ansi.sys
> > but there are no result!! :-(
> >
> > How can i do proceed ?
> >
> > thanks a lot!!

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10  6:35 ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2003-03-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"S�bastien Bourgogne" <sbourgo@noos.fr> writes:

> I have already change my config.nt. I've added this instructions :
> device=%systemroot%\system32\ansi.sys
> but there are no result!! :-(

This is only for DOS programs. Windows NT does not have an ANSI
driver.

> How can i do proceed ?

Either use another OS or you use the Win32 console API. A package that
does the latter can be found here:
http://users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk/packages.html

--
F�r OE User: http://learn.to/quote/
OE users please read http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10 11:00     ` S�bastien Bourgogne
From: S�bastien Bourgogne @ 2003-03-10 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am just intall the cygwin and toosl!!
but i can proceed to run my exe file? I don't know very good unix world!!
:-(
for exemple my prog call : exemple_gf_direct1.exe
how can i know if tcsh shell is install?

thanks for your help!!
"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> a �crit dans le message
news: mailman.2.1047268069.32742.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org...

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10 11:20       ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2003-03-10 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article news:3e6c7077$0$23930$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-01.noos.net
S�bastien Bourgogne wrote:
"I am just intall the cygwin and toosl!!
but i can proceed to run my exe file? I don't know very good unix world!!
:-(
for exemple my prog call : exemple_gf_direct1.exe"

Cygwin is not UNIX, it simply gives you a way on Windows to use command
lines and other interfaces similar to those more common on UNIX. You can
still run Windows programs. For example, if your program is in C:\prog
you can cd to the directory and run the program from there like
cd //C/prog
./exemple_gf_direct1.exe
or you can just run it from wherever you are like
//C/prog/exemple_gf_direct1.exe
(I do not have Cygwin on the machine I am on right now so you might have
to replace //C/ with something slightly different like ///C/ or a more
UNIX-like / ).

"how can i know if tcsh shell is install?"

You don't need it, by default Cygwin uses bash (or rather BASH.EXE). If
you want to, you could check if there is a TCSH.EXE program in the same
directory and use that instead.

Note that in Windows 2000 DOS boxes and probably in Cygwin shells on
Windows 2000 too, a different character set is used than in GUI
applications on Windows 2000 and GUI/DOS applications on other versions of
Win32. The character set Windows 2000 DOS boxes seem to display seems to
be the IBM Extended ASCII character set which was used on most PCs running
DOS as their OS.

Good luck.

* Re: Ansi.sys
@ 2003-03-10 12:27 David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-03-10 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway; +Cc: sbourgo

The "trick" with the "tee" tool works under the bash shell, as well
as tcsh.

Directory sytax under either of the shells looks like

g:/gnat/Examples

One of my reasons for using tcsh is the fact that it provides command
line completion by pressing the TAB key.  Another reason is that I
prefer its syntax when writing shell scripts.

One of the places tcsh can be found is
http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/windows/programming/cygwin/release/tcsh