* Using ASIS when source is in multiple directories
@ 2005-04-18 15:55 James Alan Farrell
From: James Alan Farrell @ 2005-04-18 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,
I'm working on software to analyze Ada programs using ASIS.  I find
that when the source is in multiple directories, ASIS cannot find all
the .adt files.  Is there some way to tell ASIS where to look?

I am using gnat 3.15.
Not sure what other information is relavent, so let me know what other
information might be helpful.

James Alan Farrell

* Re: Using ASIS when source is in multiple directories
@ 2005-04-18 16:37 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2005-04-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Alan Farrell a �crit :
> Hello all,
> I'm working on software to analyze Ada programs using ASIS.  I find
> that when the source is in multiple directories, ASIS cannot find all
> the .adt files.  Is there some way to tell ASIS where to look?
>

> I am using gnat 3.15.
> Not sure what other information is relavent, so let me know what other
> information might be helpful.
>
> James Alan Farrell

See the -T option to Associate, Asis_UG para 3.3 or Asis_RM para 3.1.4.
            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Using ASIS when source is in multiple directories
@ 2005-04-18 23:58 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2005-04-18 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Alan Farrell; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

James Alan Farrell <anonymous@anonymous.com> writes:

> Hello all,
> I'm working on software to analyze Ada programs using ASIS.  I find
> that when the source is in multiple directories, ASIS cannot find all
> the .adt files.  Is there some way to tell ASIS where to look?

Hmm. Are the .adt files in multiple directories? or just the source
files?

The "normal" way to use ASIS with GNAT is to run GNAT in a separate
build directory, giving it -I options for each source directory. That
way, all the .adt, .ali, .o files are in the one build directory.

See Auto_Text_IO
(http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ada/auto_text_io.html) for an
example of how to run the compiler from within an ASIS program.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Using ASIS when source is in multiple directories
@ 2005-04-19 14:17   ` James Alan Farrell
From: James Alan Farrell @ 2005-04-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:58:10 -0400, Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote:

I would say where the files are is up to my customers.  I don't have
much insight into how they do large Ada projects.  But it is likely
they will not have used ASIS before.

What I do know is that my customers are several large well known
military contractors (but I'm not at liberty to name names), and the
analysis software will be used on very large ongoing projects.

 Is it normal to put the .o files into the same directory when not
using ASIS?

I think this approach is viable, as long as we can explain to them
what needs to be done.

Thanks,
James Alan Farrell

@ 2005-04-19 23:49     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2005-04-19 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Alan Farrell; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

James Alan Farrell <anonymous@anonymous.com> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:58:10 -0400, Stephen Leake
> <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I would say where the files are is up to my customers.

Source files, yes. Build files, no; you get to tell them how to use
your tool, and your tool should build the tree files itself.

> I don't have much insight into how they do large Ada projects. But
> it is likely they will not have used ASIS before.
>
> What I do know is that my customers are several large well known
> military contractors (but I'm not at liberty to name names), and the
> analysis software will be used on very large ongoing projects.
>
>  Is it normal to put the .o files into the same directory when not
> using ASIS?

Yes. That way, you can keep different sets of compiled code around;
one with "debug" options, one with "release" options, one compiled
with ObjectAda, one with GNAT, one with the real-time target cross
compiler.

On the other hand, "normal" is whatever your customer thinks it is :).

> I think this approach is viable, as long as we can explain to them
> what needs to be done.

Having your tool build the tree files it needs simplifies things a
lot. In particular, you can use ASIS-for-GNAT even when your customer
is not using GNAT.

Hmm, unless compiling everything to get the tree files takes "too
long".

--
-- Stephe