* Mneson
@ 2004-06-06  9:42 Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-06-06  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

You know, come to think of it, there is a project just starting that
Mneson might be perfect for.  The AdaBIND project.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adabind/

Maybe an opportunity to "join forces" and create a product has just
presented itself?

Andrew Carroll
Carroll-Tech
720-273-6814
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: Mneson
       [not found] <001101c44baa$87b005c0$0201a8c0@win>
@ 2004-06-06 10:18 ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2004-06-06 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> You know, come to think of it, there is a project just starting that
> Mneson might be perfect for.  The AdaBIND project.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/adabind/
>
> Maybe an opportunity to "join forces" and create a product has just
> presented itself?

Maybe. I used to lurk some of the AdaBIND posts on this list, and I have
just checked the website. I strongly feel the lack of a high level
description of AdaBIND, including a rationale for rewriting BIND. BIND
seems a complicated domain on itself and with many complicated
implications. I myself know only 0.000001% of this domain. And nobody is
going to read 100 RFCs just to get an idea of what BIND is. I suspect
that even if they read the 100 RFCs they would still have no idea. So
what I will say next is based on my 0.000001% knowledge of BIND and
related issues. I suspect BIND is essentially what is commonly known as
DNS. And DNS is essentially a database of domain names and IP addresses,
and a lot of rules. So the role of Mneson would be to serve as the
database component for this. If this is not terribly off the mark, I may
be interested and join the AdaBIND list as a Mneson consultant, and
maybe as coeditor of the much wanted high level descriptions.

* Re: Mneson
@ 2004-06-06 10:41   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-06-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Amado Alves writes:
> Andrew Carroll wrote:
>
>> You know, come to think of it, there is a project just starting that
>> Mneson might be perfect for.  The AdaBIND project.
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/adabind/
>> Maybe an opportunity to "join forces" and create a product has just
>> presented itself?
>
> Maybe. I used to lurk some of the AdaBIND posts on this list, and I
> have just checked the website. I strongly feel the lack of a high
> level description of AdaBIND, including a rationale for rewriting
> BIND. BIND seems a complicated domain on itself and with many
> complicated implications. I myself know only 0.000001% of this
> domain. And nobody is going to read 100 RFCs just to get an idea of
> what BIND is. I suspect that even if they read the 100 RFCs they would
> still have no idea. So what I will say next is based on my 0.000001%
> knowledge of BIND and related issues. I suspect BIND is essentially
> what is commonly known as DNS. And DNS is essentially a database of
> domain names and IP addresses, and a lot of rules. So the role of
> Mneson would be to serve as the database component for this. If this
> is not terribly off the mark, I may be interested and join the AdaBIND
> list as a Mneson consultant, and maybe as coeditor of the much wanted
> high level descriptions.

I think you are quite close to the mark, and the high-level
description you speak of is indeed badly wanted.  Andrew and I have
started a document listing all the relevant RFCs[1].  I have already
started reading some of the high-level ones but I have not found the
time to write an executive summary yet.

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/adabind/doc/devel/requirements/functionality-by-rfc.html

BTW, I also know next to nothing of the domain, but I'm willing to
learn :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.