* comp.lang.ada.leypold
@ 2006-06-28  3:25 Alexander E. Kopilovich
From: Alexander E. Kopilovich @ 2006-06-28  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote:

>Ada is a cathedral. Beautiful, mathematical and complete.

Well, like a cathedral - magnificient exterior, inspiring interior and good
liturgy. What is not so impressive there - is the doctrine -;)

Alexander
(Poor reader of the very thick book "Thomas Cranmer. A Life" -;)

* Re: comp.lang.ada.leypold
@ 2006-06-28 13:38 ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-28 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alexander E. Kopilovich" <aek@VB1162.spb.edu> writes:

> M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote:
>
> >Ada is a cathedral. Beautiful, mathematical and complete.
>
> Well, like a cathedral - magnificient exterior, inspiring interior and good
> liturgy. What is not so impressive there - is the doctrine -;)

Which doctrine? I mean, with Ada?

And what does the subject mean?

Regards -- Markus

* Re: comp.lang.ada.leypold
@ 2006-06-30  0:47   ` Alexander E. Kopilovich
From: Alexander E. Kopilovich @ 2006-06-30  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote:

>> >Ada is a cathedral. Beautiful, mathematical and complete.
>>
>> Well, like a cathedral - magnificient exterior, inspiring interior and good
>> liturgy. What is not so impressive there - is the doctrine -;)
>
>Which doctrine? I mean, with Ada?

Well, usually a cathedral is associated (at any given moment of time) with
some doctrine.

Although Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine ) rightly notes
that "Sometimes 'doctrine' is an ambitious word for a mere slogan", I didn't
use the word in that sense, as the doctrine behind Ada is not a mere slogan,
far from that. Therefore, if you don't know about that doctrine (and perhaps
do not even suspect its existense) then I can't help it. After all, generally,
real doctrines (unlike mere slogans) cannot be communicated via small talk.

In the case of Ada language, the doctrine may be generally described as a set
of principles, particular case studies and authoritative views that provide
guidelines for the language development and maintenance.

>And what does the subject mean?

Just a recognition of extraordinary prolific participant in comp.lang.ada .
Within an Ada program such a great producer of messages probably deserves
a separate package (child package, of course) for proper encapsulation.

* Re: comp.lang.ada.leypold
@ 2006-06-30  9:05     ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-30  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> Well, like a cathedral - magnificient exterior, inspiring interior and good
> >> liturgy. What is not so impressive there - is the doctrine -;)
> >
> >Which doctrine? I mean, with Ada?
>
> Well, usually a cathedral is associated (at any given moment of time) with
> some doctrine.
>
> Although Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine ) rightly notes
> that "Sometimes 'doctrine' is an ambitious word for a mere slogan", I didn't
> use the word in that sense, as the doctrine behind Ada is not a mere slogan,
> far from that. Therefore, if you don't know about that doctrine (and perhaps
> do not even suspect its existense) then I can't help it. After all, generally,
> real doctrines (unlike mere slogans) cannot be communicated via small talk.

> In the case of Ada language, the doctrine may be generally described as a set
> of principles, particular case studies and authoritative views that provide
> guidelines for the language development and maintenance.

Ah. As an hobbyist historian of old languages and operating systems:
Are their any online sources on those guidelines and case studies?

I know about steelman, the standards and the rationales themselves. I
wasn't successful looking for tinman or woodenman and could not find a
lot on the pre standard design phase.

> >And what does the subject mean?
>
> Just a recognition of extraordinary prolific participant in comp.lang.ada .

Substitute that as an extraordinary waste of time :-). I'll pipe down
from now one, I promise. When I started I didn't know, things would
develop in such a fashion and I felt somehow obligated to correct
misunderstandings about the position I took. After all, if I start
wondering about, let's say, GMGPL vs. GPL licensing issues and certain
licensing transitions and then get accused (a bit out of context) that
I only want to produce "proprietary software" with "other peoples free
tools", or not caring for free software, it would look just to bad if
I fell silent at exactly that point.

> Within an Ada program such a great producer of messages probably deserves
> a separate package (child package, of course) for proper encapsulation.

:-).

Regards -- Markus

* Re: comp.lang.ada.leypold
@ 2006-06-30 12:50     ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-06-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander E. Kopilovich wrote:
> M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote:
>>And what does the subject mean?
>
> Just a recognition of extraordinary prolific participant in comp.lang.ada .
> Within an Ada program such a great producer of messages probably deserves
> a separate package (child package, of course) for proper encapsulation.

I, for one, appreciate Markus' enthusiasm for posting--certainly sparked a
great deal of conversation and debate around here  :-)

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out