From: "Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
Subject: Re: Unbounded Strings
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:52:27 -0600
Date: 2003-10-07T23:52:27-06:00	[thread overview]

I read one of the list messages a few days ago about Unbounded_Strings.
I used to post here frequently about Unbounded_String and String.
If I remember correctly the post I read was about having a "universal"
string
in Ada or something like that.  I might have agreed with them a few months
ago, but now, I think it would be overkill.

I have been working with Ada for about 8 months now.  At first I struggled
with the concept of the Ada String type and the Unbounded and Bounded
length strings.  The first month or so I thought to myself "what a whacked
out language" because of all the "apparent" hassle of converting a string
to an unbounded string or vice versa and etcetera.

Then I was writting a sort of "hello world" C++ Common gateway interface
program and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why strings in C/C++
were so easy.  char * made it all clear.

I did some experimenting, thanks to Cohen's book and persistance I found
that I can define a pointer to a string type in Ada and allocate a new
string when
I want one of a different size, sort of like char* in C/C++, with the
benefits of
Ada bounds checking (if that still exist by default) and the memory
management I briefly scanned over in the last comp.lang.ada email.

So now I am using Ada like I never thought I could before and it's just as
easy,
if not easier at times than C/C++.  Once I leaned my way around the packages
that come with GNAT a bit I found myself wanting to use Ada with the Unix
Visual Editor (VI) more and my fancy GUI IDE with C++ less.

I found myself desingning more and debugging less.  There were still
problems
of course, such as pass by value or pass by reference; I didn't know what to
use
nor did I know if I had to specify it.  I found out when I created my first
graph,
you have to specify out paramter or in and out for the parameter or you get
copy instead of the actual "thing".

Anyway, I'm babling about the success and pleasure I have had with Ada.
I really just wanted to put my two cents in on the string thing.  I don't
think they
need to be changed.  It's the mindset of the programmer/designer that needs
to changed.

I remember wanting to switch to Ada because of a software engineering
article
I read that said Ada cut 40% off of some portion of software projects.
Maybe
it was 60%, I don't quite remember.  Anyone know of that article?  Pretty
slim
chance with my specific description of it eh?

Well, take care Ada people.

Andrew