From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: Newbie question about pointers in GNAT 3.15p on Windows 2000 : to Steve
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:48:53 -0600
Date: 2003-02-24T05:48:53-06:00	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "prashna" <vashwath@rediffmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Sent: February 24, 2003 12:40 AM

> > If you are absolutely certain the variable will not be referenced after the
>                                     ^^^^^
> > lifetime of the procedure or function in which it is declared>
>
> Hi Steve,
> This sentence is bit confisung for me.I am not sure you are talking
> about which variable. Are talking about BUFSIZE (or P_SIZE). Both
> these variables are local to function X and it is absolutely
> impossible to refer these variables outside X.Please clarify this.
> And also please let me know how it is risky if I use
> 'Unchecked_Access.
He is referring to the variable of which you are taking the 'access --
i.e., BUFSIZE.  It is risky to use 'Unchecked_Access if the result of
the 'Unchecked_Access attribute is passed outside the function, because
when BUFSIZE goes out of scope (i.e., when X returns), the result of the
'Unchecked_Access which has been passed outside of X will no longer be
valid.