* ada calendar
@ 2003-12-05 21:00 shoko
From: shoko @ 2003-12-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi
how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-05 22:34 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-12-05 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

shoko2004@hotmail.com (shoko) writes:

> hi
> how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?

with Ada.Calendar; use Ada.Calendar;
procedure One_Week
is
   One_Minute : constant Duration := 60.0;
   One_Hour   : constant Duration := 60 * One_Minute;
   One_Day    : constant Duration := 24 * One_Hour;
   One_Week   : constant Duration := 7 * One_Day;

   Now : Time := Clock;
begin
   Now := Now + One_Week;
end One_Week;

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-05 22:55 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-12-05 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?
Seems like the simplest way to add a week to T would be
for Day in 1 .. 7 loop
  T := T+24*60*60.0;
end loop;

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06  0:01   ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2003-12-06  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 22:55, tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> > how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?
> Seems like the simplest way to add a week to T would be
> for Day in 1 .. 7 loop
>   T := T+24*60*60.0;
> end loop;

It's hard to be simple, uh?

T := T + 7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06  0:11   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-12-06  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

>>how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?
>
> with Ada.Calendar; use Ada.Calendar;
> procedure One_Week
> is
>    One_Minute : constant Duration := 60.0;
>    One_Hour   : constant Duration := 60 * One_Minute;
>    One_Day    : constant Duration := 24 * One_Hour;
>    One_Week   : constant Duration := 7 * One_Day;
>
>    Now : Time := Clock;
> begin
>    Now := Now + One_Week;
> end One_Week;

This may work on some implementations. If it fails, the compiler should
issue a fatal error. In this case, Tom Moran's suggestion:

    One_Minute : constant Duration := 60.0;
    One_Hour   : constant Duration := 60 * One_Minute;
    One_Day    : constant Duration := 24 * One_Hour;

    Now : Time := Clock;
    begin
       for Day in 1 .. 7 loop
         Now := Now + One_Day;
       end loop;

ought to work. There is a proposal to add this functionality in the next
revision of the language (AI-351).

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06  0:21     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-12-06  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> T := T + 7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0
"The implementation of type Duration shall allow representation of
time intervals (both positive and negative) up to at least 86400
seconds (one day);" ARM 9.6(27)  So "7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0" may or
may not work.

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06 15:08       ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2003-12-06 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 00:21, tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> > T := T + 7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0
> "The implementation of type Duration shall allow representation of
> time intervals (both positive and negative) up to at least 86400
> seconds (one day);" ARM 9.6(27)  So "7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0" may or
> may not work.

Sure, but T by definition is something that spans a week or more, so a
'proper' type is expected here *by design*, no?

(And I seem to remember there is a longer duration type somewhere in the
standard. Some Ada.Real_Time package or some such.)

* ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06 15:53 shoko
From: shoko @ 2003-12-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<ci9Ab.34439$_M.151549@attbi_s54>...
> > T := T + 7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0
> "The implementation of type Duration shall allow representation of
> time intervals (both positive and negative) up to at least 86400
> seconds (one day);" ARM 9.6(27)  So "7 * 24 * 60 * 60.0" may or
> may not work.

thanks a lot
now if i have the following date:"27/06/2003"
and i want to insert him to a function that accept calendar.time
how do i do it

and how do i convert calendar.time to string?

thanks

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-06 16:10 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-12-06 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

with Ada.Calendar;
.
.
.
use type Ada.Calendar.Time; -- visibility to + operator
for d in 1 ..7 loop
   T := T + Day_Duration'Last;
end loop;

@ 2003-12-06 17:01 ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2003-12-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 15:53, shoko wrote:
> now if i have the following date:"27/06/2003"
> and i want to insert him to a function that accept calendar.time
> how do i do it

You can do it with Ada.Calendar:

  Your_Function (Time_Of
    (Year_Number'Value (S (7 .. 10)),
     Month_Number'Value (S (4 .. 5)),
     Day_Number'Value (S (1 .. 2))));

where S is your string containing "27/06/2003" or similar.

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-07  2:49 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-12-07  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

shoko wrote:

> now if i have the following date:"27/06/2003"
> and i want to insert him to a function that accept calendar.time
> how do i do it

You break it apart, convert the pieces to Integer (or an appropriate
subtype of Integer defined in Ada.Calendar), and pass the values to
Ada.Calendar.Time_Of.

> and how do i convert calendar.time to string?

You break it into values using Ada.Calendar.Split, convert the values to
Strings, and concatenate the Strings together with your desired
separators between them.

If you can use an existing package to achieve this,
PragmARC.Date_Handler can produce almost any representation of a Time
you can think of:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/pragmarc.htm

--
Jeff Carter
"Mr. President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-07 12:36   ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2003-12-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Carter, comp.lang.ada

On Sunday 07 December 2003 03:49, Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> shoko wrote:
> > now if i have the following date:"27/06/2003"
> > and i want to insert him to a function that accept calendar.time
> > how do i do it
>
> You break it apart, convert the pieces to Integer (or an appropriate
> subtype of Integer defined in Ada.Calendar), and pass the values to
> Ada.Calendar.Time_Of.
>
> > and how do i convert calendar.time to string?

GNAT comes with GNAT.Calendar.Time_IO.

Duncan.

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-08  7:49     ` Reinert Korsnes
From: Reinert Korsnes @ 2003-12-08  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>>>how can i add one week to clendar.time record using duration ?
>>
>> with Ada.Calendar; use Ada.Calendar;
>> procedure One_Week
>> is
>>    One_Minute : constant Duration := 60.0;
>>    One_Hour   : constant Duration := 60 * One_Minute;
>>    One_Day    : constant Duration := 24 * One_Hour;
>>    One_Week   : constant Duration := 7 * One_Day;
>>
>>    Now : Time := Clock;
>> begin
>>    Now := Now + One_Week;
>> end One_Week;
>
> This may work on some implementations. If it fails, the compiler should
> issue a fatal error. In this case, Tom Moran's suggestion:
>
>     One_Minute : constant Duration := 60.0;
>     One_Hour   : constant Duration := 60 * One_Minute;
>     One_Day    : constant Duration := 24 * One_Hour;
>
>     Now : Time := Clock;
>     begin
>        for Day in 1 .. 7 loop
>          Now := Now + One_Day;
>        end loop;
>
> ought to work. There is a proposal to add this functionality in the next
> revision of the language (AI-351).

Will this revision include definitions based on precise
description of movements of the Earth ?  The rotation
of the Earth is not so well defined and if one wants very
high precision - as one may want within some applications
of theoretical (geo-)physics/astronomy - then I guess such
calendar definitions cannot be implemented in a computer language ?

The "Ada calender" will be more like the "official/standard calendar" -
but this is subject to frequent modifications ?

Or does there exist a stable calendar standard which everybody agree on ?

reinert

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-08 19:22   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-12-08 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> writes:

> You can do it with Ada.Calendar:
>
>   Your_Function (Time_Of
>     (Year_Number'Value (S (7 .. 10)),
>      Month_Number'Value (S (4 .. 5)),
>      Day_Number'Value (S (1 .. 2))));
>
> where S is your string containing "27/06/2003" or similar.

There is no guarantee that S start to 1. It should be using S'First as
offset to compute all slices.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-09  4:48     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-12-09  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> writes:
>
>>You can do it with Ada.Calendar:
>>
>>  Your_Function (Time_Of
>>    (Year_Number'Value (S (7 .. 10)),
>>     Month_Number'Value (S (4 .. 5)),
>>     Day_Number'Value (S (1 .. 2))));
>>
>>where S is your string containing "27/06/2003" or similar.
>
> There is no guarantee that S start to 1. It should be using S'First as
> offset to compute all slices.

True, but there's an alternative technique, and possibly a better one in
this kind of case, using implicit array conversion:

    subtype Date_String is String(1..10);
    X: constant Date_String := S; -- checks length and slides if necessary
    if X(3) /= '/' or X(6) /= '/' then raise ...; end if;
    Your_Function( Time_Of( Year_Number'Value ( X(7..10) ),
                            Month_Number'Value( X(4..5)  ),
                            Day_Number'Value  ( X(1..2)  ) ) );

Obviously, if possible, it is desirable to declare S itself of a subtype
such as Date_String.

This technique shows the person reading (reviewing) the code that X does
indeed start at 1. If the declaration of Date_String is distant from the
use of a variable of this subtype, you can always use an 'if' test (or
pragma Assert, or a comment) to reiterate that the bounds are 1 and 10.

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-09  7:40       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-12-09  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Will this revision include definitions based on precise
> description of movements of the Earth ?  The rotation
   My understanding is that Ada.Calendar is basically a wall clock - it
can be reset by the operator for Daylight Savings, leap seconds, clock
skew, or whatever.  It's the right thing to use for printing a date & time
on a report, for instance.  Ada.Real_Time has a monotonic clock so it's
generally the right thing for elapsed time.  Inserting a leap second for
instance would cause the clock to run backwards one second, which would be
illegal for Ada.Real_Time.Clock, but perfectly OK for Ada.Calendar.Clock

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-09 13:23       ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2003-12-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> You can do it with Ada.Calendar:
>>>
>>>  Your_Function (Time_Of
>>>    (Year_Number'Value (S (7 .. 10)),
>>>     Month_Number'Value (S (4 .. 5)),
>>>     Day_Number'Value (S (1 .. 2))));
>>>
>>> where S is your string containing "27/06/2003" or similar.
>>
>> There is no guarantee that S start to 1. It should be using S'First as
>> offset to compute all slices.
>
> True, but there's an alternative technique, and possibly a better one in
> this kind of case, using implicit array conversion:
>
>    subtype Date_String is String(1..10);
>    X: constant Date_String := S; -- checks length and slides if necessary
>    if X(3) /= '/' or X(6) /= '/' then raise ...; end if;

Or one could use predefined string operations
to split the string on '/' marks/

Or Index to find the '/' marks.

These would add robustness--leading zeroes and
extra spaces would be neither required nor would
they mess it up.

--
Wes Groleau
   "To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-09 15:59         ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-12-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:

>>Will this revision include definitions based on precise
>>description of movements of the Earth ?  The rotation
>
>    My understanding is that Ada.Calendar is basically a wall clock - it
> can be reset by the operator for Daylight Savings, leap seconds, clock
> skew, or whatever.  It's the right thing to use for printing a date & time
> on a report, for instance.  Ada.Real_Time has a monotonic clock so it's
> generally the right thing for elapsed time.  Inserting a leap second for
> instance would cause the clock to run backwards one second, which would be
> illegal for Ada.Real_Time.Clock, but perfectly OK for Ada.Calendar.Clock

I think this is quite correct. The proposal does include minimal (very
minimal) time zone functionality, but I suspect this might be removed by
the ARG (or WG9), as being too horrible to contemplate.

[For one thing, it is only the rather obscure UT0 time system that is
actually based on movements of the Earth; UT1 corrects it for 'wobble'. UTC
is based on atomic clocks, and is corrected in steps of precisely 1 second
every now and then to bring it within 0.9 s of UT1. As for the all the
different time zones in use around the world, that is a deep mire where
only the very foolish or the very brave (or those who enjoy maintaining
huge databases) dare to tread.]

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-10  8:16           ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 2003-12-10  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I think this is quite correct. The proposal does include minimal (very
> minimal) time zone functionality, but I suspect this might be removed by
> the ARG (or WG9), as being too horrible to contemplate.

The latest version of the proposed additions for Ada 0Y can be found at:
http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00351.TXT?rev=1.2>

I haven't had time to review it throughly yet, I've been spending way
too much time on AI-318 & AI-325 (initial values for limited types).

--
                                           Robert I. Eachus

100% Ada, no bugs--the only way to create software.

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-10 12:27             ` Thomas Wolf
From: Thomas Wolf @ 2003-12-10 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

rieachus@comcast.net wrote:
> The latest version of the proposed additions for Ada 0Y can be found at:
> http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00351.TXT?rev=1.2>

I see that this proposal includes some functionality for dealing with
leap seconds. It proposes (among other things)

procedure Difference (Left, Right : Time;
                      Days : out Day_Count;
                      Seconds : out Duration;
		      Leap_Seconds : out Leap_Seconds_Count);
    Returns the difference between Left and Right.
    Days is the number of days of difference, Seconds is the
    remainder seconds of difference, and Leap_Seconds is the number
    of leap seconds.
    If Left < Right, then Seconds <= 0.0, Days <= 0, and
    Leap_Seconds <= 0.
    Otherwise, all values are non-negative.

How is this supposed to work if Left or both Left and Right are in
the future? You cannot predict when the next leap second will be
inserted -- it depends on the irregularities of Earth's rotation,
and IERS inserts a leap second whenever necessary (well, at the end
of June or December) to keep the difference between UT1 und UTC <
0.9 sec.

Also implementing this for past dates needs a look-up table.

So, what is the number of leap seconds between 2004-01-01, 00:00:00
and 2105-01-01 00:00:00? Executing the proposed subprogram now would
probably return Leap_Seconds = 0, but executing it in 20 years, it
would probably have to return a non-zero value. (Because by then,
IERS will most probably have inserted at least one additional leap
second.)

Thomas Wolf                          e-mail: t_wolf@angelfire.com

* Re: ada calendar
@ 2003-12-18 19:03               ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-12-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thomas Wolf" <t_wolf@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> rieachus@comcast.net wrote:
> > The latest version of the proposed additions for Ada 0Y can be found at:
> > http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00351.TXT?rev=1.2>
>
> I see that this proposal includes some functionality for dealing with
> leap seconds. It proposes (among other things)
> How is this supposed to work if Left or both Left and Right are in
> the future? You cannot predict when the next leap second will be
> inserted -- it depends on the irregularities of Earth's rotation,
> and IERS inserts a leap second whenever necessary (well, at the end
> of June or December) to keep the difference between UT1 und UTC <
> 0.9 sec.
>
> Also implementing this for past dates needs a look-up table.

No, you failed to read the Implementation Advice. The intent is that this is
mapped to whatever functionality is provided by the underlying timebase. In
particular, if the timebase doesn't provide leap second information, all of
these routines should return zero for the number of leap seconds. (And, by
definition, that should be true for times in the future.)

The only reason for these functions is so that using a timebase that does
provide leap seconds (and they are getting more common) won't screw up
programs.

Note that I personally think these leap second functions are a mistake.
There are sometimes 86401.0 seconds in a day, and Ada should simply be
honest and say that. (Indeed, doing so makes the other functions in this AI
more critical, because the assumptions used in typical code are wrong.)

In any case, the ARG is far from a resolution on this proposal. (We didn't
discuss it in San Diego, the only Amendment AI that we didn't look at.)

                 Randy Brukardt
                 ARG Editor (and author of AI-351).