From: Rod Kay <rodkay@mullum.com.au>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:43:36 +1000
Date: 2003-11-14T14:43:36+10:00	[thread overview]

"Dr. Adrian Wrigley" wrote:

> Rod Kay wrote:
> >     I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
> > streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
> > /usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
> > seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
> > used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
> > 'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
> > GtkAda, but to no avail.
> >
> >     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> > very helpful.
>
> Yes.  I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.
>
> I seem to remember solving it simply by deleting the new s-stratt.adb file
> that comes with GLADE, and removing the references to it in the appropriate
> Makefile.  When you rebuild GLADE, you get libraries that seem to work
> OK, but won't necessarily work in heterogenous systems.

    Thanks, this solves the problem.

> I did find some (slightly) helpful pages through Google.
>
> If you want to use the GLADE s-stratt.adb, you will probably have to recompile
> lots of stuff - I tried this, but had some problems (and it takes an age).
>
> I have found that GLADE - based applications work well and are very easy
> to design and build.  But occasionally I have had problems trying to build
> a really robust system (capable of surviving reboots, crashes etc).
> Like you (I guess?), I am also using GtkAda/Glade, and this integrates
> fairly nicely into the whole system.

    That is encouraging. I've found the GLADE docs and example apps to
be clear and informative (in true Ada fashion), although I was uncertain
as to how well GLADE would work with GtkAda.

> I now use GLADE in a mission critical, real-time application, and overall, I am
> a satisfied "customer".  Let us know how you get on!

    I now have a simple client/server app merrily chatting away courtesy
of GLADE, with Gtk GUI's. Thanks again for your help.