From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: GtkAda for professional GUI-Application ?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:16:45 -0500
Date: 2003-01-27T10:16:45-05:00	[thread overview]

Martin's scheme is some what the opposite of what I was trying to say.

What I am saying is design your application in a client server like fashion
with the GUI accessing your application through clear interfaces. Writing a
different GUI client for each platform you wish to support.

No reason though you could not take advantage of Martin's scheme to increase
productivity accross platforms by using it as the basis for the GUI  or
simple form like projects, but I would engourage heavy use of grabbing the
native API handles  and doing heavy platform specific customization, etc.

The fact that the Rapid framework is so limitted is its biggest plus. You
can not be all things to all people on all platforms.

There is some preliminary work on a GWindows implementation for Rapid (I
believe it is included with the distribution). I saddly keep getting pulled
away from GNATCOM/GWindows and Ada in general and was not able to give
Martin what he needed to complete it. I'll try and see if I can steel some
time to apply myself to that.

David Botton