From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: Personality Conflict was: why Ada is so unpopular ?
Date: 26 Jan 2004 21:08:07 -0500
Date: 2004-01-26T21:08:07-05:00	[thread overview]

David Starner <dvdeug@email.ro> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:30:46 -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:
> >
> > What "support" is missing? In particular, what support is missing from
> > Ada that is available in other languages? Not in the vendor libraries
> > for those languages, but in the language itself?
>
> That seems like an artificial distinction. If my C code works on every
> Unix platform, why should I worry about whether the code depends on C
> functions or on POSIX ones?

Because you may need to port it to a different operating system?

More to the point, the OP was complaining about the language standard
itself, not the libraries available for it.

> Further out, is it not an advantage that a language have libraries
> regularly available to do something where Ada has no corresponding
> libraries? Or that a C library is well-maintained where an Ada
> binding to that library is not?

Yes, these are valid points. But the OP did not seem to be saying
that. Part of the reason I phrased my response this way was to make
him think about this distinction.

--
-- Stephe