From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: Endianness independance
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:46:15 -0600
Date: 2003-03-04T06:46:15-06:00	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: <Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Sent: March 04, 2003 5:34 AM

Representation clauses are neither the issue, nor the answer to the problem.

If all you want is platform-independence, then replace the file s-stratt.adb
in your standard gnat distribution with the one from the same version of
glade, and re-compile and rebuild the library files (.a), and you have
what you want.  Now, as long as your types are declared the same on both
platforms (with no representation clauses) you will have platform-
independence.

I'm not sure why GNAT didn't do this from the beginning -- perhaps because
they didn't provide an implementation of the Distributed Systems Annex at
the beginning.  Also, there is a small performance penalty paid for
shuffling bits around to achieve platform independence.