* RE: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-10-10 13:28 Beard, Frank Randolph CIV
From: Beard, Frank Randolph CIV @ 2003-10-10 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I with ya Marin!  I've been using OpenOffice for a while now
for both documents and spreadsheets.  Only one other person
in my office has joined me.  The rest are using Micro$oft.
But, of course, it reads and writes Micro$oft formats without
a problem (so far).

Frank

Personally, I have decided to switch to OpenOffice ...
[snip]

* Re: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-10-11 15:02 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-10-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great! The seeds of Revolution have been planted! Let's all work in that
garden and start using OpenOffice to achieve the overthrow of The Evil
Empire!!!

MDC

Beard, Frank Randolph CIV wrote:
> I with ya Marin!  I've been using OpenOffice for a while now
> for both documents and spreadsheets.  Only one other person
> in my office has joined me.  The rest are using Micro$oft.
> But, of course, it reads and writes Micro$oft formats without
> a problem (so far).
>
> Frank

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "All reformers, however strict their social conscience,
      live in houses just as big as they can pay for."

          --Logan Pearsall Smith

* Re: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-10-12 12:42   ` Freejack
From: Freejack @ 2003-10-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:02:10 -0400, Marin David Condic wrote:

> Great! The seeds of Revolution have been planted! Let's all work in that
> garden and start using OpenOffice to achieve the overthrow of The Evil
> Empire!!!
>
> MDC

Indeed. And lets squash some bugs in OpenOffice in our spare time, eh?

In fact, let's each of us find and fix one bug. Just one. As I know most
of us are busy, one should be enough. Heh.
It maybe not be written in Ada, but parts of it could be eh?

Just a thought.

Freejack

* Re: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-10-31 20:59     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-10-31 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Freejack wrote:

> Indeed. And lets squash some bugs in OpenOffice in our spare time, eh?

Well, I use OpenOffice as well. I click on the icon to start it up, then go
and make a cup of tea and feed the cat, and sometimes when I come back it's
nearly finished loading.

;-)

I'm sorry, but I cannot help feeling that OO doesn't just need a few bugs
squashing; it needs redesigning and rewriting (in Ada?). I thought
StarOffice was great, but as soon as Sun have something to do with a piece
of software, you just know it's going to go the way of the Dodo.

I use OpenOffice only when nothing else will do.

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-10-31 23:32       ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-10-31 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> Well, I use OpenOffice as well. I click on the icon to start it up, then
> go and make a cup of tea and feed the cat, and sometimes when I come
> back it's nearly finished loading.
>
> ;-)

Must be Windows.  On Linux I have noticed speed improvements in releases
except 1.1 proper, which was a little slower than 1.1rc1.

> I'm sorry, but I cannot help feeling that OO doesn't just need a few
> bugs squashing; it needs redesigning and rewriting (in Ada?).

Perhaps but what's the language got to do with anything?

 > I thought
> StarOffice was great, but as soon as Sun have something to do with a
> piece of software, you just know it's going to go the way of the Dodo.

Why?  StarOffice is made by Sun... :?

> I use OpenOffice only when nothing else will do.

Agreed.  Sometimes even Latex can fail ;)

* Re: ACM Ada Letters
@ 2003-11-01  3:07       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-11-01  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, there's a useful product that might spur some interest in Ada.
Something similar to Open Office (which works fine for me - maybe it
needs the next generation of hardware. That's part of the conspiracy
between the hardware vendors and the software vendors.) would make a
good product. But you're clearly talking about something way-big to build.

MDC

Nick Roberts wrote:

> Well, I use OpenOffice as well. I click on the icon to start it up, then
> go and make a cup of tea and feed the cat, and sometimes when I come
> back it's nearly finished loading.
>
> ;-)
>
> I'm sorry, but I cannot help feeling that OO doesn't just need a few
> bugs squashing; it needs redesigning and rewriting (in Ada?). I thought
> StarOffice was great, but as soon as Sun have something to do with a
> piece of software, you just know it's going to go the way of the Dodo.
>
> I use OpenOffice only when nothing else will do.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "So if I understand 'The Matrix Reloaded' correctly, the Matrix is
     basically a Microsoft operating system - it runs for a while and
     then crashes and reboots. By design, no less. Neo is just a
     memory leak that's too hard to fix, so they left him in... The
     users don't complain because they're packed in slush and kept
     sedated"

         --  Marin D. Condic

* Ada on the Desktop (was: ACM Ada Letters)
@ 2003-11-01 11:53       ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2003-11-01 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 20:59, Nick Roberts wrote:
> Well, I use OpenOffice as well. I click on the icon to start it up, then go
> and make a cup of tea and feed the cat, and sometimes when I come back it's
> nearly finished loading.

And mine often goes beserk making me loose work. And has other non-fatal
really stupid bugs. V. 1.0 did not show italics! V. 1.1 solved this but
stopped showing quotation marks! I had to change from Times to some
uncommon font. And it can't be conviced I am not in USA. And Nick is
lucky to have an icon for it. When I click my icon v. 1.0 shows up. To
get v. 1.1 I have to open a terminal and execute "soffice". And to
install v. 1.1 I had to do it three times. And I still wonder if there
are now three installations of it on my system. And...

However--and this is sad--, when compared to Microsof Word, considering
price (Word hi, OpenOffice zero), it still wins.

In Portugal my experience is most people use Microsoft Word but are
(illegally) not paying it.

So I wonder if there is a market in the middle ground: low price (10
eurodollars), 0 bugs, ease of installation.

I have a name for this kind of project: "Ada on the Desktop."