From: "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft & Ada (and also a remark on DTDs prohibiting
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:37:36 -0700
Date: 2004-09-13T06:37:36-07:00	[thread overview]

   DTDs have a horrible syntax.  XML schema can be constructed to have
essentially a one-to-one correspondence to Ada.  Readability and strong
typing are very useful characteristics for software engineering.  My latest
work on medical data, CytometryML, can be found at
www.newportinstruments.com.  Most of the data types are NOT numeric.  In
fact, the major part of the numeric data is kept in separate files, which
are written in Ada.  My Ada code employs the same data-types and names as
the XML schema.
   Bob Leif

   Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:01:14 +0000 (UTC)
   From: Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>
   	economic	success)
   To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

   Robert C. Leif <rleif@rleif.com> wrote:
   :   Any one of the present competitors
   : could have stopped Microsoft, if they made reliable well engineered
   : products.  Instead the competitors use Java and XML DTDs.  When the
economy
   : functions correctly, stupid business men go broke.

   I think it's not very smart to judge XML DTDs by narrowing one's
   view down to records numeric medical data. 8-) Likewise, rockstable
   proven software without much need to manually debug data streams can
   profit from the use of a scheme like ASN.1.

   -- Georg