From: "David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
To: "Bill Ward" <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com>,
	"comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org" <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
Subject: Re: Differentation in Ada?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:40:33 -0600
Date: 2004-01-22T13:40:33-06:00	[thread overview]

Without more specifics, it's hard to know just what would be suitable for
your problem.

For example, I could envision a differentiation function in Ada with the
following profile:

function Derivitave_Of
     (The_Function : Function_Access
       At_The_Value : Float;
       Using_The_Interval : Float := 0.00001) return Float;

where the type Function_Access is defined by

type Function_Access is access function (X : Float) return Float;

and where the body of Derivative returned the result

return (F (X + 0.5 * I) - F (X -0.5 * I) / I;

where TheFunction has been renamed to F
           At_The_Value has been renamed to X
  and   Using_The_Interval has been renamed to I

Such an approach will give suitable results for many cases, but sometimes
it will not.

For a list of books on numerical methods, see:
http://www.ericweisstein.com/encyclopedias/books/NumericalMethods.html.