From: sk <noname@myob.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: Detecting the OS type before clearing screen
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:54:11 -0600
Date: 2003-03-25T14:54:11-06:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

 > ... preprocessors are evil

I am going to take that statement with a grain of salt :-)

 > ... <various renames schemes> ...

I like, and use, package renaming to establish different
implementations, but I do not think that the actual build
issue has been addressed.

At some point in the build, a decision has to be made
as to which implementation is required. Some form of
preprocessing is required.

Manually edit the renames every time ? No thanks.

Using make files ? Then either you somehow get "make" to
detect which version you require or edit the makefile
to set a variable.

Shell scripts ? Same as above.

I have found that a simple script similar to ...

#!/bin/bash
gnatprep -D WITHCURSES infile.ada outfile.adb
gnatmake outfile.adb
rm outfile.adb

... is a lot simpler to maintain than messing around with
make files or fancy "sed" scripts to properly set up the
necessary Ada "renames" statements.

I have yet to be convinced that one should refute the
preprocessor based upon the current discussions :-)

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
--     s n p @ t . o
--      k i e k c c m