* ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 18:55 Patty
From: Patty @ 2005-06-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to find an ADA compiler for ADA83 for a Pentium/RedHat
Enterprise Linux 3 operating system platform, but have not been able to
locate one so far. Anyone know of one??

* Re: ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 19:04 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-06-03 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Patty" <patricia.l.addiss@honeywell.com> writes:

> I am trying to find an ADA compiler for ADA83 for a Pentium/RedHat
> Enterprise Linux 3 operating system platform, but have not been able to
> locate one so far. Anyone know of one??

Why Ada83, are you porting an application ?

Have a look at GNAT. Part of GCC and commercial support available from
AdaCore. http://www.adacore.com. I'm sure there is some other compilers
for GNU/Linux I'll let other answer...

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 19:12 ` Patty
From: Patty @ 2005-06-03 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

* Re: ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 19:21   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-06-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Jun 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Patty wrote:

> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.

Egh, how to port Ada 83 to Ada 95 without Ada 95?

>  I have looked at GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

1. There should be no problem to port Ada 83 code to Ada 95.
Incompatibilities are rather minor.

2. AFAIK, GNAT has "-gnat83" switch for Ada 83 legacy code.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 20:25   ` Jeff C
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff C @ 2005-06-03 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patty wrote:
> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
> GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

The issues involved with an update from Ada 83 to Ada 95 are <<= any
issues you will run into with simply porting code from one compiler/os
to another.

If the existing code makes use of a lot of vendor specific packages and
it does not encapsulate it well, this will be a bit of work.

In any case if I were doing a bid (and I've done lots of them) the port
from Ada 83 to Ada 95 would probably not even how up in the last digit
compared to any other issues associated with the port.

What can be a bit more difficult (situation I have been in for a long
time) is when you need the same (or mostly the same) codebase to be
backwards compatible with the old compiler for some time. The only
trouble in this case is just verifying from time to time that you did
not "leak" any ada 95 features into your code base.

In any case I've got about 150K SLOC of Ada 83 that I also use with an
Ada 95 compiler (with Ada 83 being the primary compiler still for a
variety of reasons) and I've only got 1 file that is branched to make
the Ada 83 work with the Ada 95 compiler because it is Ada 95 (note
there are 5 or 6 other branched files but these are branched due to some
vendor specific library issues or other areas that are due to vendor
differences and not Ada language revision differences).

* Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
@ 2005-06-03 20:27   ` Chris Albertson
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Albertson @ 2005-06-03 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

--- Patty <patricia.l.addiss@honeywell.com> wrote:

> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
> GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson@aero.org
  KG6OMK

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail

* Re: ADA compilers
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-03 20:31   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2005-06-03 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Patty" <patricia.l.addiss@honeywell.com> writes:
> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
> GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

Most valid Ada 83 programs are valid Ada 95 programs with the same
semantics.  Most of the exceptions (such as using new keywords as
identifiers) are easy to fix.

Try compiling the application with GNAT (or with any Ada 95 compiler).
You're likely to run into more problems going from one compiler to
another than going from Ada 83 to Ada 95, especially if the program
uses any compiler-specific features -- and you're going to have to fix
those problems anyway.

Since Ada 83 compilers are, for the most part, no longer being
maintained, you might not be able to find one that works with a newer
operating system.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

* Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
       [not found] <20050603202720.13734.qmail@web32807.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
@ 2005-06-03 20:32 ` Chris Albertson
From: Chris Albertson @ 2005-06-03 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Sorry aout the last message hadno text. Here is is again

I'm curious, will ada83 programs not compile under ada95?

If there is a problem where is it?  What part of the language spec
changed in an incompatable way?  Yes I do have some old code that
currently runs on a VAX and I'm like to get it running on a
Duel Xeon system under Solaris 10.  I assumed only minor work
would be required.  I think gnat has a switch to disallow
the '95 syntax.

I would not want to use an old compiler, so much work has been
done in recent years it would be a shame not to take advantage
of it

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson@aero.org
  KG6OMK

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: ADA compilers
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-03 20:36   ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2005-06-03 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

2005-06-03 kl. 21.12 skrev Patty:

> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
> GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

We have ported a fairly large system from Ada83 to Ada 95 (Ie using an
Ada 95 compiler on Ada83 code)
with hardly no problems. The things to watch out for is if you have
variable names that
are the same as the new reserved words that Ada 95 brings. Ie you cant
have a variable called 'aliased' since
that is a reserved word now.

We are using Gnat now, and had troble with some applications due to
circular dependencies,
with the resukt that the Gnat compiler refused to link the application.
The 'difficult' application contained heavy
use of tasking, in combination of a great deal of generic packages. The
old compiler said OK, and so did other
Ada 95 compilers. Minor rewrite solved it.

A BIG difference with Gnat and other compilers are the way the Ada
library a
is handled. We used it a lot, having several libraries in the same
level, but not able to see each other.
ie
global
     level2-1
     level2-2
        level3
     level2-3

where the ones on level2 could all see global, but not each other.
Level3 could see level2-2 and global but not the others

Of course, having different packages, with the same name, in all
level2's is common in our system.
Tcl-script reading flat file'repository' based on current working
directory, and
use of environment variables ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECT_PATH made
it possible to make it work, without having to use several projectfiles.

This was the
biggest challege

Then of course, packages using vendors spcifics, as how to get the
command line, tasking policies
etc will differ.

Another thing to watch out for, if tasking is inviolved, is how the old
compiler created tasks.
Is it run by the os like threads or locally in the runtime? This
changes the way you can interact
with blocking io. We got a big boost using Gnat, because it made it
possible to use
blocking io, instead of polling.

This was on Aix, but compiled and linked and tested (very very little)
on Linux and mac os X as well

/Björn

Björn Lundin
bnl at spray dot se

* Re: ADA compilers
@ 2005-06-03 20:37     ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2005-06-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

2005-06-03 kl. 21.21 skrev Dmitry A. Kazakov:

> On 3 Jun 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Patty wrote:
>
>> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.
>
> Egh, how to port Ada 83 to Ada 95 without Ada 95?

Porting to another OS perhaps?

The OP is looking for and ADA compiler for linux, not an Ada 95
compiler.

/Björn

Björn Lundin
bnl at spray dot se

* Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
@ 2005-06-04  0:10   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2005-06-04  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com> writes:
> Sorry aout the last message hadno text. Here is is again
>
> I'm curious, will ada83 programs not compile under ada95?
>
> If there is a problem where is it?  What part of the language spec
> changed in an incompatable way?
[snip]

The biggest change is the new reserved words that Ada 83 programs
might use as identifiers.  (That's actually not a very common problem,
as far as I know).

The best way to find out is to try compiling the code with an Ada 95
compiler and read the error messages.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

* Re: ADA compilers
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-04  5:29   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-06-04  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patty wrote:
> Yes, we are trying to port an existing application.  I have looked at
> GNAT, but they only have ADA95.

I have used GNAT to develop Ada-83 code. In fact, I had to do so again
only a couple of weeks ago. The -gnat83 switch turns GNAT into an Ada-83
compiler.

Note that it's Ada, a woman's name, not the American Dental Association.

--
Jeff Carter
"Oh Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou

* Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
@ 2005-06-04  5:34   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-06-04  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Albertson wrote:

> If there is a problem where is it?  What part of the language spec
> changed in an incompatable way?  Yes I do have some old code that
> currently runs on a VAX and I'm like to get it running on a
> Duel Xeon system under Solaris 10.  I assumed only minor work
> would be required.  I think gnat has a switch to disallow
> the '95 syntax.

I've compiled lots of Ada-83 code with Ada-95 compilers and never had a
serious problem. The important thing is that the code was designed to be
portable in the first place. If you have lots of compiler or platform
dependencies in your code, it becomes harder.

--

@ 2005-06-04  6:32 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-06-04  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patty wrote:

> I am trying to find an ADA compiler for ADA83 for a Pentium/RedHat
> Enterprise Linux 3 operating system platform, but have not been able to
> locate one so far. Anyone know of one??

Well you can use gnat with the "-gnat83" option.

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
@ 2005-06-06 12:24   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-06-06 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've ported a LOT of VAX/VMS (DEC) Ada 83 to Gnat Ada95 and never
encountered anything that was a problem between the two language
versions. There may be some obscure corner-case rules that trigger
incompatibilities but in practical use, I just never encountered any. I
did get some warnings about using the package ASCII and maybe that's as
close to an incompatability as I've seen.

Mostly, I had some issues where different compiler writers had different
views of what to implement. A few instances where DEC Ada handled
unconstrained types differently from Gnat Ada and, of course, some
vendor specific implementation details once in a while (like packages
that may or may not be there because they are vendor supplied) but two
observations: I don't recall anything that got past the compiler that
ended up being an issue - so the compiler is your friend here. I don't
recall anything that didn't run just fine when it finally linked. I
*have* had problems when porting between two *different* platforms -
mostly with byte-sex issues, but that has been minimal. (Ada 95 has some
features to help you out making byte-sex issues portable as well, but I
have not delved into them lately)

Porting even a large body of Ada code (if reasonably well written to be
portable - no fair throwing in compiler-specific things in every unit &
expecting zero effort) even across platforms has not been much of an
issue in my experience. I've done a few hundred thousand lines in a
couple of days & had it up and running - but it was *my* code so I was
familiar with it and I have usually had the wisdom to isolate any
compiler specifics. Even a stranger's code being moved across platforms
and to a different language standard ought to be minimal fuss.

MDC

Chris Albertson wrote:
> Sorry aout the last message hadno text. Here is is again
>

> I'm curious, will ada83 programs not compile under ada95?

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has
      been found difficult; and left untried."

         --  G. K. Chesterton