* Differentation in Ada?
@ 2004-01-22 17:52 Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I can't seem to find much on this but I would like to make a function
that has to utilize differentation.  Is there a library around that would
help me to do this or do I need to do the differentation manually?

* Re: Differentation in Ada?
@ 2004-01-22 19:40 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2004-01-22 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Ward, comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org

Without more specifics, it's hard to know just what would be suitable for
your problem.

For example, I could envision a differentiation function in Ada with the
following profile:

function Derivitave_Of
     (The_Function : Function_Access
       At_The_Value : Float;
       Using_The_Interval : Float := 0.00001) return Float;

where the type Function_Access is defined by

type Function_Access is access function (X : Float) return Float;

and where the body of Derivative returned the result

return (F (X + 0.5 * I) - F (X -0.5 * I) / I;

where TheFunction has been renamed to F
           At_The_Value has been renamed to X
  and   Using_The_Interval has been renamed to I

Such an approach will give suitable results for many cases, but sometimes
it will not.

For a list of books on numerical methods, see:
http://www.ericweisstein.com/encyclopedias/books/NumericalMethods.html.

@ 2004-01-22 20:23   ` Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:40:33 -0600, David C. Hoos wrote:

> Without more specifics, it's hard to know just what would be suitable for
> your problem.
>
> For example, I could envision a differentiation function in Ada with the
> following profile:
>
> function Derivitave_Of
>      (The_Function : Function_Access
>        At_The_Value : Float;
>        Using_The_Interval : Float := 0.00001) return Float;
>
> where the type Function_Access is defined by
>
> type Function_Access is access function (X : Float) return Float;
>
> and where the body of Derivative returned the result
>
> return (F (X + 0.5 * I) - F (X -0.5 * I) / I;
>
> where TheFunction has been renamed to F
>            At_The_Value has been renamed to X
>   and   Using_The_Interval has been renamed to I
>
> Such an approach will give suitable results for many cases, but sometimes
> it will not.
>
> For a list of books on numerical methods, see:
> http://www.ericweisstein.com/encyclopedias/books/NumericalMethods.html.

Well I would like to calculate the velocity of a particle travelling along
a curve that is rotating around a fixed point:
          _
   v = [ dr ]   _   _
       ------ = w X r
       [ dt ]

r being the distance from the particle to the fixed point.
t is time
w is the anular velocity

* Re: Differentation in Ada?
@ 2004-01-22 23:40     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-01-22 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Bill Ward" <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> writes:

> Well I would like to calculate the velocity of a particle travelling along
> a curve that is rotating around a fixed point:
>           _
>    v = [ dr ]   _   _
>        [ dt ]
>
> r being the distance from the particle to the fixed point.
> t is time
> w is the anular velocity

So all you need are Cartesian vectors and cross products. See
http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ada/sal.html.

--
-- Stephe