* GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-13  3:54 Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2003-11-13  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hello,

    I've installed GLADE 3.15p onto a Mandrake Linux 8.1 PC with GNAT
3.15p, and compiled and run the example apps with no problems. When I
try to compile a GtkAda program with gnatdist, I'm informed that:

   error: "gtk.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been
modified)

    I rebuilt and re-installed GtkAda, but the error remains. I've found
some old references to a similar problem in the newsgroup archives but
they seem to relate to a old 'sed' problem under Windows NT.

    I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
/usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
GtkAda, but to no avail.

    If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
very helpful.

regards,

Charles.

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
       [not found] <3FB30090.F400B41@mullum.com.au>
@ 2003-11-13  9:50 ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2003-11-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rod Kay, comp.lang.ada

On Thursday 13 November 2003 04:54, Rod Kay wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I've installed GLADE 3.15p onto a Mandrake Linux 8.1 PC with GNAT
> 3.15p, and compiled and run the example apps with no problems. When I
> try to compile a GtkAda program with gnatdist, I'm informed that:
>
>    error: "gtk.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been
> modified)
>

>     I rebuilt and re-installed GtkAda, but the error remains. I've found
> some old references to a similar problem in the newsgroup archives but
> they seem to relate to a old 'sed' problem under Windows NT.
>
>     I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
> streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
> /usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
> seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
> used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
> 'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
> GtkAda, but to no avail.
>
>     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> very helpful.

You need to rebuild Gtkada against the glade versions of the ada libraries.

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-13 11:25 ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2003-11-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I struggled with the same problem about a year go on NT, but I cannot
remember precisely what I did to solve it. You are correct that the
problem is the two different versions of s-stratt.adb.
I believe I may have simply copied the version which came with GLADE
to the standard location and rebuilt the library.

--
Strange attractors stole my wife

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-13 15:56 ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2003-11-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Kay wrote:
>     I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
> streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
> /usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
> seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
> used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
> 'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
> GtkAda, but to no avail.
>
>     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> very helpful.

Yes.  I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.

I seem to remember solving it simply by deleting the new s-stratt.adb file
that comes with GLADE, and removing the references to it in the appropriate
Makefile.  When you rebuild GLADE, you get libraries that seem to work
OK, but won't necessarily work in heterogenous systems.

I did find some (slightly) helpful pages through Google.

If you want to use the GLADE s-stratt.adb, you will probably have to recompile
lots of stuff - I tried this, but had some problems (and it takes an age).

I have found that GLADE - based applications work well and are very easy
to design and build.  But occasionally I have had problems trying to build
a really robust system (capable of surviving reboots, crashes etc).
Like you (I guess?), I am also using GtkAda/Glade, and this integrates
fairly nicely into the whole system.

I now use GLADE in a mission critical, real-time application, and overall, I am
a satisfied "customer".  Let us know how you get on!
--
Dr. Adrian Wrigley, Cambridge, UK.

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-14  4:43   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2003-11-14  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Dr. Adrian Wrigley" wrote:

> Rod Kay wrote:
> >     I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
> > streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
> > /usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
> > seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
> > used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
> > 'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
> > GtkAda, but to no avail.
> >
> >     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> > very helpful.
>
> Yes.  I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.
>
> I seem to remember solving it simply by deleting the new s-stratt.adb file
> that comes with GLADE, and removing the references to it in the appropriate
> Makefile.  When you rebuild GLADE, you get libraries that seem to work
> OK, but won't necessarily work in heterogenous systems.

    Thanks, this solves the problem.

> I did find some (slightly) helpful pages through Google.
>
> If you want to use the GLADE s-stratt.adb, you will probably have to recompile
> lots of stuff - I tried this, but had some problems (and it takes an age).
>
> I have found that GLADE - based applications work well and are very easy
> to design and build.  But occasionally I have had problems trying to build
> a really robust system (capable of surviving reboots, crashes etc).
> Like you (I guess?), I am also using GtkAda/Glade, and this integrates
> fairly nicely into the whole system.

    That is encouraging. I've found the GLADE docs and example apps to
be clear and informative (in true Ada fashion), although I was uncertain
as to how well GLADE would work with GtkAda.

> I now use GLADE in a mission critical, real-time application, and overall, I am
> a satisfied "customer".  Let us know how you get on!

    I now have a simple client/server app merrily chatting away courtesy
of GLADE, with Gtk GUI's. Thanks again for your help.

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-14  6:34   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-11-14  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk> writes:

> I seem to remember solving it simply by deleting the new
> s-stratt.adb file that comes with GLADE, and removing the references
> to it in the appropriate Makefile.  When you rebuild GLADE, you get
> libraries that seem to work OK, but won't necessarily work in
> heterogenous systems.

They will definitely not work in heterogenous systems! (well, if you
use them for streaming data over the network).

Rebuilding the RTS is the way I've found works best. We put it in a
special place and use the --RTS=path flag.

The Makefile.adalib needs some care if you're using it under Windows ..

Do _not_ use the -a flag; it will compile library files, but won't
necessarily carry all the options you need through.

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-14 18:22 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2003-11-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rod Kay" <charlie@mullum.com.au> a �crit dans le message de news:mailman.1.1068714274.3110.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org...

> Hello,
>
>     I've installed GLADE 3.15p onto a Mandrake Linux 8.1 PC with GNAT
> 3.15p, and compiled and run the example apps with no problems. When I
> try to compile a GtkAda program with gnatdist, I'm informed that:
>
>    error: "gtk.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been
> modified)
>
> [...]
>     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> very helpful.

It seems that gnatdist has sometimes problems with dependencies and recompilations....
What I usually do is delete the dsa directory, and recompile. Everything is fine then.

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
@ 2003-11-14 23:39   ` Anh_Vo
From: Anh_Vo @ 2003-11-14 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message news:<j973pb.8uf.ln@skymaster>...
> "Rod Kay" <charlie@mullum.com.au> a �crit dans le message de news:mailman.1.1068714274.3110.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org...
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I've installed GLADE 3.15p onto a Mandrake Linux 8.1 PC with GNAT
> > 3.15p, and compiled and run the example apps with no problems. When I
> > try to compile a GtkAda program with gnatdist, I'm informed that:
> >
> >    error: "gtk.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been
> > modified)
> >
> > [...]
> >     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> > very helpful.
> >

> It seems that gnatdist has sometimes problems with dependencies and recompilations....
> What I usually do is delete the dsa directory, and recompile. Everything is fine then.

I had the same problem. The solution I found, as Jean-Pierre Rosen
described, was to delete the subdirectory ../dsa and rebuilt the
partitions. The build was always succeed. By the way, I was using
GLADE-3.15p on Sun Sparc running Solaris 2.8.

A. Vo