* sequential io and variant records
@ 2003-03-19 23:35 Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2003-03-19 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was surprised to notice that I could compile and link the generic
package sequential_io with a variant record as a parameter.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented to see how variant these
records could be when used in conjunction with such a package.

Examples eagerly accepted.....

* Re: sequential io and variant records
@ 2003-03-20  4:12 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-03-20  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

> I was surprised to notice that I could compile and link the generic
> package sequential_io with a variant record as a parameter.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experimented to see how variant these
> records could be when used in conjunction with such a package.

Sequential IO for variant records writes a number of storage units equal
to the number of storage units in the largest of the variants.

Since the discriminant is written as part of the record, when reading
back, the original variant is reconstructed, and any excess storage
units are ignored.