* Progress with GNAT on bare MIPS
@ 2003-12-23 14:37 Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2003-12-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I thought I'd cross post so that anyone wanting the info can find it in
all 3 places.

Right, it seems the compiler that I'd built *does* work fine, as long as
you provide a system.ads within your project's directory. So, I have
copied the one from gcc-3.3.2/gcc/ada directory (I have no clue if this is
correct yet as I'm still working things out).

With this in place I have been able to build a "hello world" style kernel
for my O2 that does absolutely nothing *and* another kernel which adds a couple
of numbers together. I have some C functions for outputting to the PROM
console, so interfacing to those be next.

To the GNU/GNAT guys: Would it be possible to decouple the compilation
process a bit more so that these kinds of compilers can be built without
any kind of runtime? I don't require them, yet they partially get built
(or at least try to build them) and get installed (again, partially). I'd
make it nicer to just have the build done then stop, that looks better
than stopping with an error when the compilers have been built.

Thanks,
Luke.

P.S: This is the Ada compiler from the GNU site rather than
http://libre.act-europe.fr.

* Re: Progress with GNAT on bare MIPS
@ 2003-12-24  1:20 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-12-24  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@n_o_p_o_r_k_a_n_d_h_a_m.abyss2.demon.co.uk> writes:

> To the GNU/GNAT guys: Would it be possible to decouple the compilation
> process a bit more so that these kinds of compilers can be built without
> any kind of runtime? I don't require them, yet they partially get built
> (or at least try to build them) and get installed (again, partially). I'd
> make it nicer to just have the build done then stop, that looks better
> than stopping with an error when the compilers have been built.

If you read thru the makefiles, you will find lower-level targets that
do each piece of the build. So it already is decoupled! Since the
overwhelming majority of users want to build a full native system,
that is the default target in the makefile.

--
-- Stephe

* Progress with GNAT on bare MIPS
@ 2003-12-28  0:12 Luke A. Guest