* which debugger?
@ 2003-12-22  9:25 antonio
From: antonio @ 2003-12-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
it's about 1 month that i try to hack with ada and i find it
wonderful. Now i spend some time to choose the appropriate tools for
development. I am an emacs user and i obiovsly like ada-mode for
emacs. i try to debug in emacs and everything seem to work, but i want
more, i see that gvd has in its features the capability of looking for
the sources related with the projects and other smart stuffs probably
based on gnat tools. But gvd seems to me full of bugs.. is it only an
impression? Can i have the same gvd features on emacs? I run gvd 1.2.0
Thank you in advance.

* Re: which debugger?
@ 2003-12-22 23:06 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-12-22 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antonio; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

bergnoli@pd.infn.it (antonio) writes:

> hi,
> it's about 1 month that i try to hack with ada and i find it
> wonderful. Now i spend some time to choose the appropriate tools for
> development. I am an emacs user and i obiovsly like ada-mode for
> emacs. i try to debug in emacs and everything seem to work, but i want
> more, i see that gvd has in its features the capability of looking for
> the sources related with the projects and other smart stuffs probably
> based on gnat tools. But gvd seems to me full of bugs.. is it only an
> impression? Can i have the same gvd features on emacs? I run gvd 1.2.0

I have not used gvd, because I've never felt I was missing something
in Emacs.

Could you be more specific? What feature is in GVD that is not in
Emacs?

You only mention one: "looking fo rthe sources related with the
projects". That is in Emacs.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: which debugger?
@ 2003-12-24  8:10 ` David Marceau
From: David Marceau @ 2003-12-24  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

antonio wrote:

> hi,
> it's about 1 month that i try to hack with ada and i find it
> wonderful. Now i spend some time to choose the appropriate tools for
> development. I am an emacs user and i obiovsly like ada-mode for
> emacs. i try to debug in emacs and everything seem to work, but i want
> more, i see that gvd has in its features the capability of looking for
> the sources related with the projects and other smart stuffs probably
> based on gnat tools. But gvd seems to me full of bugs.. is it only an
> impression? Can i have the same gvd features on emacs? I run gvd 1.2.0
> Thank you in advance.
Yes you could use gvd for simple stuff and yes it is convenient since it does
have a nice visual display for watching contents of locals and globals.

The other added advantage is that you can configure gvd to coexist with
gdbremote i.e debugging from another computer.
Do remember though it is just a gui to gdb itself.  Whatever gvd does you can
display the information from the command line.
Sure use emacs/gvd/whatever but in the end you're using gdb.  So why not just
read the gdb manual and get it over with?
You'll also be better for it.
Some frequently used commands:
file "some.exeorbin"
file "some.dllorso
attach someProcessIDPointingToAnEXEOrDLLwithDebugInfoCompiledIntoIt
info func somefunctionyouknow*
info locals
info globals
break blah.c:999