* Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-02-28 12:27 corlioni1976
From: corlioni1976 @ 2005-02-28 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All

I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
similar?

Any help advise would be appreciated.

Naveed

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-02-28 17:41 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-02-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

corlioni1976 wrote:

> I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
> similar?

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Ada is for software engineers, not
dummies. Dummies use inferior languages, for which "dummies books" are
plentiful.

However, if you are a software engineer and not a dummy, you will find
plenty of information, including on-line texts and tutorials, at
adapower.com and adaworld.com.

--
Jeff Carter
"Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out?"

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-02-28 21:39   ` israel
From: israel @ 2005-02-28 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> writes:

> corlioni1976 wrote:
>> I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies
>> book or
>> similar?

Have a look at the lovelace tutorial.
I remember it being pretty good back when I used it.

Ada is an excellent language to learn despite what
you might hear from trolls and critics.

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-02-28 21:55 ` britt.snodgrass
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: britt.snodgrass @ 2005-02-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

corlioni1976 wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book
or
> similar?
>
> Any help advise would be appreciated.
>
> Naveed

For beginners (not dummies) see Ada Distilled at

http://www.adaic.org/docs/distilled/adadistilled.pdf

Britt

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01  6:29   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-03-01  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> corlioni1976 wrote:
> >
> > I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies
book or
> > similar?
>
> I'm afraid you're out of luck. Ada is for software engineers, not
> dummies. Dummies use inferior languages, for which "dummies books"
are
> plentiful.
>
> However, if you are a software engineer and not a dummy, you will
find
> plenty of information, including on-line texts and tutorials, at
> adapower.com and adaworld.com.
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out?"
> Horse Feathers
> 49

That sounds very harsh and biased to a beginner (or dummy). Couldn't
you be humble and nice? Cheers :-)

I'm writing a book, "Ada as First Language" but unfortunately, I have
not finished. I'm working on it only when I have free time. This book
is based on my experience teaching Ada in university.

But I think John Barnes' "Programming in Ada95" is good if you already
have some programming background. Seriously, if you really want to
learn Ada, I think nothing will stop you, at least IMHO.

--
Adrian Hoe

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01  6:38 ` israel
From: israel @ 2005-03-01  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"corlioni1976" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
> similar?

Ada Lovelace tutorial (free)
http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm

Here is another one which seems reasonable, if a bit verbose.
In addition, it is shareware.
http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pautet/Ada95/a95list.htm

Also, your local university library should have a few books on Ada.

BTW, why do you have to learn Ada ?
Is it a requirement for a course ?

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01  8:02   ` corlioni1976
From: corlioni1976 @ 2005-03-01  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"israel" <rambam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> "corlioni1976" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>

> > I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
> > similar?
>

> Ada Lovelace tutorial (free)
> http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm
>
> Here is another one which seems reasonable, if a bit verbose.
> In addition, it is shareware.
> http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pautet/Ada95/a95list.htm
>
> Also, your local university library should have a few books on Ada.
>
> BTW, why do you have to learn Ada ?
> Is it a requirement for a course ?

Hi

Thanks for your advise.

My manager at work wants me to learn Ada and has enrolled me in a 5 day
training course to start in three months time.  The company will provide
some books for me, but I need to determine which ones are good for beginner
programmers.  Hence my original post.  As the company has offered to buy the
books I dont really want to concentrate  on the free tutorials yet.

Many thank

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01  9:01     ` Peter Hermann
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Hermann @ 2005-03-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

corlioni1976 <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pautet/Ada95/a95list.htm

your activity led to an update of
http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/resources_on_ada.html
(look out for a capital_letter red "NEW")

> My manager at work wants me to learn Ada and has enrolled me in a 5 day
> training course to start in three months time.  The company will provide
> some books for me, but I need to determine which ones are good for beginner
> programmers.  Hence my original post.  As the company has offered to buy the
> books I dont really want to concentrate  on the free tutorials yet.

In that case I would recommend to buy this one:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl.html

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01 11:19       ` israel
From: israel @ 2005-03-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> In that case I would recommend to buy this one:
> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl.html

Yes, Ada as a second language is a good book.
It cuts out a lot of the annoying waffle that some of the other books have.

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01 17:18     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-03-01 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

corlioni1976 wrote:

> My manager at work wants me to learn Ada and has enrolled me in a 5 day
> training course to start in three months time.  The company will provide
> some books for me, but I need to determine which ones are good for beginner
> programmers.  Hence my original post.  As the company has offered to buy the
> books I dont really want to concentrate  on the free tutorials yet.

If you have some development experience and are interested in physical
books, I'd recommend Barnes, /Programming in Ada 95/, or Cohen, /Ada as
a Second Language/. Still no books for dummies, though.

--
Jeff Carter
"Ada has made you lazy and careless. You can write programs in C that

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-01 17:22     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-03-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe wrote:

> That sounds very harsh and biased to a beginner (or dummy). Couldn't
> you be humble and nice? Cheers :-)

I think it's a good thing that Ada is not for dummies. That may limit
its popularity, but it means that a person's attitude towards Ada may be
used as a discriminator.

Now if we can just arrange things so dummies are not allowed to make
language choices or create designs ...

--

@ 2005-03-01 20:15       ` israel
From: israel @ 2005-03-01 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> writes:

> Now if we can just arrange things so dummies are not allowed to make
> language choices or create designs ...

Easy !

Just publish 'Explosives For Dummies' and leave out the safety instructions.
That will improve the human gene pool.
:-)

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-02 10:17         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2005-03-02 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

israel <rambam@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> writes:
>
> > Now if we can just arrange things so dummies are not allowed to make
> > language choices or create designs ...
>
> Easy !
>
> Just publish 'Explosives For Dummies' and leave out the safety instructions.
> That will improve the human gene pool.
> :-)

look out for "quote of the day" in
http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/resources_on_ada.html

:-)

* Re: Ada for dummies needed. (OT)
@ 2005-03-02 11:02         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-03-02 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

israel wrote:
> Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> writes:

> Just publish 'Explosives For Dummies' and leave out the safety instructions.
> That will improve the human gene pool.
> :-)

It doesn't (beeing German makes one aware of misconceptions of this
sort.)
OTOH, enough money to buy good books for your kids is a
factor in improving education.

Georg

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-02 12:01           ` israel
From: israel @ 2005-03-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> look out for "quote of the day" in
> http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/resources_on_ada.html
>
> :-)

I am now a legend in my own lunchtime ! :-)

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-02 17:18         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-03-02 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <877jkrktef.fsf@kafka.homenet>, israel <rambam@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> writes:
>
>> Now if we can just arrange things so dummies are not allowed to make
>> language choices or create designs ...
>
> Easy !
>
> Just publish 'Explosives For Dummies' and leave out the safety instructions.
> That will improve the human gene pool.
> :-)

My wife says:

    Come on, why go to the work of taking out the safety instructions?

    If they were inclined to read the safety instructions, they wouldn't
    be called dummies.

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-04  4:11           ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2005-03-04  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Mar 2005 11:18:17 -0600, Larry Kilgallen <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net>
wrote:

> My wife says:
>
>     Come on, why go to the work of taking out the safety instructions?
>
>     If they were inclined to read the safety instructions, they wouldn't
>     be called dummies.

Good 'un!

- Ed

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-04  4:13     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2005-03-04  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:02:21 -0000, corlioni1976
<corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> As the company has offered to buy the
> books I dont really want to concentrate  on the free tutorials yet.

Have you done programming before?  If yes, the best two books around are
Norm Cohen's Ada as a Second Language, and John Barnes' Programming in Ada
95.  Each serves well as a reference, but also expects a certain amount of
programming savvy as a prerequisite.  But even if you've never programmed,
these are both great references that you'll use later on.

- Ed

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-04 21:03 ` Dani
From: Dani @ 2005-03-04 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

hi! if you know "any" language, this two books Helps a Lot!
(my initiation in Ada was with this books :-)

* Programming In Ada95 2nd edition (or more recent)
author John Barnes

and after you learn the book above:-) an excitting topic is concurrency, in
the following book

* Concurrency in Ada  Second edition (or more recent)
authors Alan Burns and Andy Wellings

After you studied this two books (first learned "John Barnes" or mybe
you will not understanding the "Alan Burns and Andy Wellings" ), there
have many official papers how "Ada Rationale" and others.  many these
papers have full on-line versions and permition for you make a "private
copy" without fee. www.google.com is your friend.

[]'s of seven rounds,Dani.

corlioni1976 escreveu:

>Hi All
>
>I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
>similar?
>
>Any help advise would be appreciated.
>
>Naveed

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
@ 2005-03-08 18:06       ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2005-03-08 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> Adrian Hoe wrote:
>
>> That sounds very harsh and biased to a beginner (or dummy). Couldn't
>> you be humble and nice? Cheers :-)
>
> I think it's a good thing that Ada is not for dummies. That may limit
> its popularity, but it means that a person's attitude towards Ada may be
> used as a discriminator.

I have to disagree with this. Isn't part of the idea to
encourage people to use Ada?  I don't think it need to become
a snobbish sort of fraternity/guild.

> Now if we can just arrange things so dummies are not allowed to make
> language choices or create designs ...

Obviously, you don't want them to choose Ada either.

Your attitude just seems counter productive. Maybe I didn't
see the smileys.

Warren.

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-02 14:40 ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2005-05-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

you can go to my website (http://www.adaworld.com) and take a look at the
learning center :-)....there's alot of reference there.

Also you can have a look at http://www.adapower.com another great source of
information and reading material

"corlioni1976" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
> similar?
>
> Any help advise would be appreciated.
>
> Naveed

* Re: Ada for dummies needed.
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-04  9:30     ` spammenot
From: spammenot @ 2005-05-04  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

corlioni1976 wrote:
> "israel" <rambam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>
>>"corlioni1976" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>

>>>I need to learn to program in ada language are there any dummies book or
>>>similar?
>>

>>Ada Lovelace tutorial (free)
>>http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm
>>
>>Here is another one which seems reasonable, if a bit verbose.
>>In addition, it is shareware.
>>http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pautet/Ada95/a95list.htm
>>
>>Also, your local university library should have a few books on Ada.
>>
>>BTW, why do you have to learn Ada ?
>>Is it a requirement for a course ?
>

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your advise.
>
> My manager at work wants me to learn Ada and has enrolled me in a 5 day
> training course to start in three months time.  The company will provide
> some books for me, but I need to determine which ones are good for beginner
> programmers.  Hence my original post.  As the company has offered to buy the
> books I dont really want to concentrate  on the free tutorials yet.
>
> Many thank

If on the other hand you aren't very experienced with programming then I
would recommend "Programming and Problem solving with Ada 95" Dale,
Weems, McCormick.

I prefer that to the John Barnes book personally.