From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:09:30 -0500
Date: 2003-03-10T17:09:30-05:00	[thread overview]

> 1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
> commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
> version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
> use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
> work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:

The one that comes with the public GNAT distributions.

> a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
> mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
> destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
> instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
> It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.

You must be using cygwin. Change to the DOS prompt and you will have less
problems.

> b. attrib also acted up in the makefile. IDK why.  It seems to
> have fixed itself.  I think I changed some of the attrib commands
> to  CMD /C "attrib ...   ".  Note that the entire attrib command
> is enclosed in double quotes.  This at least kept the makefiles
> from crashin. I hope it worked.

ditto

> 2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
>    first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.

Stated on the Web Page

> 3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
>    I've set
> ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;
>
>     This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.

Again this is a product of your not using the DOS prompt.

> 4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
>     should need to have perl/bin on your path.

They are only needed if you try to produce HTML files from the sources. I
haven't used that part of the Makefiles in a while, wonder if it still
works.... I've been using other tools as of late.

Perhaps you should consider contributing a set of makefiles that work for
your env. if everything works out well for you.

David Botton