* Win32Ada Linker Problem
       [not found] <20040327201514.541854C40D8@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-28  7:36 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-03-28  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I am trying to use A# and RAPID, which requires AdaGIDE, Win32Ada, TASH and
last but not least, GNAT.

[ For your info, TASH site is still down, <sigh> ]

I read somewhere that GNAT 3.11 came with Win32Ada.  Does that mean GNAT
3.15p comes with it?
The reason I ask is because I'm having some linker problems with Win32Ada.
The specific message is:

--------------------------------------
ld: unrecognized option
'C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnat.a'
ld: use the --help option for usage information
gnatlink: cannot call C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\BIN\gcc.exe
gnatmake: *** link failed.
--------------------------------------

So I tried to use verbosity to find out more and it told me, basically, the
same thing.  Heh, nice feature.
I checked my autoexec.bat file for incorrect paths and they are "squared
away".
So I'm pretty sure finding gcc isn't the problem, for me at least.
C:\Progra~1\ada\bin\gcc.exe is the correct
path to that executable.  It is obvious that I can use Gnatmake, otherwise I
would never have gotten to
gnatlink.  Gnatbind finished with no trouble as well.

I Googled the error messages and none of the returned links were that
helpful.

Is there a configuration file for gnatlink?  For ld?  Do I need a different
ld?  Do I need a different gnatlink?

Andrew

* Re: Win32Ada Linker Problem
@ 2004-03-28  9:51   ` Szymon Guz
From: Szymon Guz @ 2004-03-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:
> I am trying to use A# and RAPID, which requires AdaGIDE, Win32Ada, TASH and
> last but not least, GNAT.
>
> [ For your info, TASH site is still down, <sigh> ]
>
> I read somewhere that GNAT 3.11 came with Win32Ada.  Does that mean GNAT
> 3.15p comes with it?

Yes, GNAT 3.15p comes with Win32Ada binding. A# (MGNAT) comes with .NET
binding, but you have to configure that on your own.

> The reason I ask is because I'm having some linker problems with Win32Ada.
> The specific message is:
>
> --------------------------------------
> ld: unrecognized option
> 'C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnat.a'
> ld: use the --help option for usage information
> gnatlink: cannot call C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\BIN\gcc.exe
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
> --------------------------------------
>
> So I tried to use verbosity to find out more and it told me, basically, the
> same thing.  Heh, nice feature.
> I checked my autoexec.bat file for incorrect paths and they are "squared
> away".
> So I'm pretty sure finding gcc isn't the problem, for me at least.
> C:\Progra~1\ada\bin\gcc.exe is the correct
> path to that executable.  It is obvious that I can use Gnatmake, otherwise I
> would never have gotten to
> gnatlink.  Gnatbind finished with no trouble as well.

Maybe there is no path to the .NET framework in the PATH variable, I had
a similar problem with linking a program and it seemed that I haven't
configured A# properly

Szymon Guz

* Re: Win32Ada Linker Problem
       [not found] <20040328100010.A912D4C40A0@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-28 13:00 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-03-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Okay, I found a path problem.
I also uninstalled Borland C++ 5.0.  Not that 'that' had anything to
do with it.   Before I continue banging my head against gnatmake,
let me address something you wrote.

>> Yes, GNAT 3.15p comes with Win32Ada binding.
Hmmm, okay....so I don't need to try and build Win32Ada myself?

See, I read somewhere in all the "umpteen" web sites that Win32Ada
was needed for something.  Either AdaGIDE needed it, or RAPID
needed it, or A# needed it.  I don't remember, it's been to many
hours since I read it.

So if Win32Ada is "__built__  into" AdaGIDE then I don't need
to build it.  Right?  I can stop with all the "linker problem" stuff?

My next question, based on the RAPID  web site.
ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html
NOT
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/usafa/rapid/
Which are different.

Carlisle's web site (usafa) says:
"(Current implementations utilize the TASH binding to Tcl/Tk, the
GNAT to JVM compiler, the Microsoft .NET framework,
or GtkAda)."

:-), I'm laughing...

Does that mean I need TASH, Tcl/Tk "AND" GNAT to JVM
"AND" Framework
"OR ELSE"
Does that mean I need TASH, Tcl/Tk "AND" GNAT to JVM
"AND" GtkAda "NOT" the Framework
"OR ELSE"
Does that mean I need TASH and Tcl/Tk "OR" GNAT to JVM
"AND THEN" Framework "OR" GtkAda
????  :-)

The wuarchive says it like this:
"(Current implementations utilize the TASH binding to Tcl/Tk,
the GNAT to JVM compiler, or GNAT for JVM compiler. "

With no closing parenthesis.  Are you sure we need the
GNAT "to" JVM compiler and not the GNAT "for" JVM
compiler?  What are the chances that the links go to the
same "GNAT to/for JVM" compiler page?

You gotta be kidding me!

Andrew

* Re: Win32Ada Linker Problem
@ 2004-03-28 13:52   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-03-28 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote:
:
: --------------------------------------
: ld: unrecognized option
: 'C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnat.a'
: ld: use the --help option for usage information
: gnatlink: cannot call C:\PROGRA~1\ADA\BIN\gcc.exe
: gnatmake: *** link failed.
: --------------------------------------

Maybe this is a related issue. When I tried to compile
TASH on Mac OS X I found some issues (I do not currently
remember where/ in which part of the software exactly).
There had been two .o files for wintel in the distribution.
One file has pragma Linker_Options not applicable on the OS used.
The linker options had to be adjusted to Mac conventions.

From these I also got "cannot call /usr/bin/gcc" from ld.
After fixing the options and removing the pragmata compilation
has been possible.

HTH

* RAPID
       [not found] <20040328100010.A912D4C40A0@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-28 16:17 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-03-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Anyone know how Root_Type_Access is supposed to be defined in
the Gtk.ads file?

Anyone know why gtk-signal.ads, gtk-signal.adb are no longer in
the gtk includes?

I am now trying to build RAPID.  Seems that there are some problems.
It is time to quit now.  It is time for food and sleep....

Bye bye

Andrew Carroll
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: Win32Ada Linker Problem
@ 2004-03-28 17:12   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-03-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> I read somewhere that GNAT 3.11 came with Win32Ada.  Does that mean GNAT
> 3.15p comes with it?

GNAT for Win comes in 2 installation packages:

gnat-3.15p-nt.exe: the compiler

and

gnatwin-3.15p.exe: "a set of libraries and utilities for programming
under Windows with GNAT"

Win32Ada is probably in the latter.

--
Jeff Carter