From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org>
To: skibochka@yahoo.com (Andrew Skiba)
Cc: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: Problem with C function pointers
Date: 21 Dec 2003 09:04:11 -0500
Date: 2003-12-21T09:04:11-05:00	[thread overview]

skibochka@yahoo.com (Andrew Skiba) writes:

> > I suspect you left out some code, that sets "thiz". please post a
> > small compilable example, if possible.
> Obviously,

Well, I have learned from many years of posting here never to assume
the "obvious", but instead to ask for precise details. Often the
problem is that the poster is assuming something they shouldn't (which
was the case here :).

> > Have you tried running under gdb, and examining "thiz"?
> No, I printed it instead :-) It was "null", as you said.

Learn gdb; it's much better than Put_Line.

> > Just out of curiosity, what does DirectFB do?
> This is a substitution for Windows DirectX on Linux. The FB stands for
> Frame Buffer, but DirectFB takes care not only of the screen (frame
> buffer), but also sound, keybord, mouse, as you might expect from
> DirectX. An interesting example of it is "links" web browser, which
> was originally text based, but with DirectFB you can see the graphics
> on linux console. Good thing for embedded and mini-distributions,
> which have no X.

Hmm. So it _doesn't_ run under X Windows? then it is _not_ a
"substitution" for DirectX, since that runs under the equivalent of X
for Windows (which doesn't really have a separate name).

How big is it, compared to X Windows?

Now we have a third target for GtkAda :).

--
-- Stephe