From: "Alexander E. Kopilovich" <aek@VB1162.spb.edu>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
Subject: Re: Ariane5 FAQ, Observer's version, 8th draft
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:48:09 +0300 (MSK)
Date: 2004-11-29T05:48:09+03:00	[thread overview]

Simon Wright wrote:

> > If I accidently installed software designed for my Microwave oven in
> > my fridge, and my fridge subsequently tried to cook food rather then
> > cool/freeze food, I would still consider it an error in the software
> > installed. Despite the fact the software did exactly as intended.
>
> No, that would be an error by and in *you* (or your thought processes,
> to be fair!)

There is a crucial difference between products for general consumer market
and very special things that are for professionals only. General consumer
is entitled to expect some reasonable level of foolproof. A spurious guess
and a wild association is not an error but rather normal way of general
consumer's thinking.

> Software for an embedded environment cannot usually afford the luxury
> of checking that the environment it is installed in is appropriate.

This is true while "embedded" implied that integration process requires
professional and highly trained personnel. I'm not sure that this traditional
implication (along with some others) will survive the next decade. Perhaps
some new name will be needed for retaining that current meaning in use.

Alexander Kopilovich                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia