From: "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com>
To: "'Dmytry Lavrov'" <m31415@mail.ru>,
	"Comp. Lang. Ada" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: RE: Nuclear Reactors & Blackout
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:57:50 -0700
Date: 2003-08-16T10:57:50-07:00	[thread overview]

I instigated one of the few medical software projects in Ada
(www.newportinstruments.com Ada_Med section see the last paper,

"The development of software in the Ada language for a midrange hematology
analyzer"). Much to my joy, the software was completed before the hardware.
Having been in this industry, I should note that the greatest virtue of the
use of Ada is it results in the resignations of the C++ hackers.

I am starting a new instrument in Ada. The C++ code that I have received
from the vendors should NEVER be used in a medical device. The commercial
software for controller board for my servomotor has the interesting feature
that the board can apply the full 10 volts to the servo-amplifier at
startup. This results in the rotor reaching top speed, ca. 3,000 rpm, with a
9 kilogram rotor with no simple means to slowly decelerate it. This is
enough to make one a true believer in Ada!

Bob Leif

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Email rleif@rleif.com