* Ada 200Y
       [not found] <468D78E4EE5C6A4093A4C00F29DF513D04B82B0B@VS2.hdi.tvcabo>
@ 2003-12-18  1:16 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-12-18  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amado.alves; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

"amado.alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> writes:

> Anyway, I'm ok with interfaces per se. I just worry that they might
> push other (for me more interesting) additions off the list (e.g.
> container library) given the scarse revision resources.

Hmm. Your objection to Java-style interfaces is that "you can do that
now in Ada". Well, clearly you can do "container libraries" now in
Ada. The only issue is to pick a standard one.

Picking the Java-style interfaces as a standard way to do one flavor
of MI is easy to agree on. Picking a standard container library API
will be much harder, because there are so many more choices, and so
much less reason to pick one over another.

> /* Tangent but doubly related issue: increasing the power of
> generics viz. towards generic parameters would be also a more
> interesting addition to me. I mean to be able to pass a generic unit
> to a (mandatorily generic) unit. I came across many situations where
> this would be useful. */

I don't follow. How is this different from formal packages?

--
-- Stephe

* RE: Ada 200Y
@ 2003-12-19 15:46 amado.alves
From: amado.alves @ 2003-12-19 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: comp.lang.ada

"Picking the Java-style interfaces as a standard way to do one flavor
of MI is easy to agree on."
Fake MI.
> /* Tangent but doubly related issue: increasing the power of
> generics viz. towards generic parameters would be also a more
> interesting addition to me. I mean to be able to pass a generic unit
> to a (mandatorily generic) unit. I came across many situations where
> this would be useful. */

I don't follow. How is this different from formal packages?
You can only pass instances as actuals for them. Instead I want to write for example
generic
  generic package Generic_Formal; -- Ada 2015
package P is
  type T is ...;

  package Instance is new Generic_Formal (T);
end;
generic
package G is
end;
package Instance_Of_P is new P (G);

* Re: Ada 200Y
       [not found] <468D78E4EE5C6A4093A4C00F29DF513D04B82B0E@VS2.hdi.tvcabo>
@ 2003-12-19 18:35 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-12-19 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amado.alves; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

"amado.alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> writes:

(please use a better quoting style, this was hard to sort out)

> stephen.leake@gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
> > "Picking the Java-style interfaces as a standard way to do one flavor
> > of MI is easy to agree on."

> Fake MI.

Hmm. No need to be nasty! I said "one flavor". I think we all agree
there are many ways to implement something that looks like multile
inheritance.

If you don't have a need for Java-style interfaces, fine; don't use
them! That doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't get the chance to use
them.

> > > /* Tangent but doubly related issue: increasing the power of
> > > generics viz. towards generic parameters would be also a more
> > > interesting addition to me. I mean to be able to pass a generic unit
> > > to a (mandatorily generic) unit. I came across many situations where
> > > this would be useful. */
> >
> > I don't follow. How is this different from formal packages?

> You can only pass instances as actuals for them. Instead I want to
> write for example
> generic
>   generic package Generic_Formal; -- Ada 2015
> package P is
>   type T is ...;
>
>   package Instance is new Generic_Formal (T);
> end;
> generic
> package G is
> end;
> package Instance_Of_P is new P (G);

Ah. I see. You can probably get a similar result for most cases now
with child generic packages; it would be interesting to see if that is
true in general.

--
-- Stephe