* RE: SIGada Conference
@ 2003-12-17 13:31 amado.alves
From: amado.alves @ 2003-12-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"It is possible to make fancy use of generics and dispatching so that you
can have one specification matched by different bodies....
Interfaces allow a programmer
to say he is doing just that, and doing it intentionally."

Formal packages provide that.

Anyway, I'm ok with interfaces per se. I just worry that they might push other (for me more interesting) additions off the list (e.g. container library) given the scarse revision resources.

/* Tangent but doubly related issue: increasing the power of generics viz. towards generic parameters would be also a more interesting addition to me. I mean to be able to pass a generic unit to a (mandatorily generic) unit. I came across many situations where this would be useful. */

* RE: SIGada Conference
@ 2003-12-17 13:11 amado.alves
From: amado.alves @ 2003-12-17 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: comp.lang.ada

>>> : ... Java-style interfaces...
>>
>> I'm surprised this one is still being listed. It has been shown to
>> be completely unnecessary.
>
> Ok, I'll byte. "Shown" where?

By *the* Ada guru J.-P. Rosen in Ada-Europe 2001 or 2002. And I seem to remember in the ARG discussions also, but I'll have to check.

> Personally, I
> think Java-style interfaces will let me do things I simply cannot do
> now.

That's what has been shown. That all those "things" can be done in Ada now. With either (yes) access discriminants which some say it's the golden nugget of Ada or, my favourite, formal packages. And mixins. And combinations thereof.

But please do come up with a new "thing" that cannot be done in Ada now.

"Java-style interfaces" is a poor man's multiple inheritance. I'd love to see fully fledged (linguistic) MI in Ada 2005, but *that* is too hard to define and implement. So I'm happy without it. But in that case I don't want the fake MI either.

[parent not found: <468D78E4EE5C6A4093A4C00F29DF513D04B82B08@VS2.hdi.tvcabo>]
* RE: SIGada Conference
@ 2003-12-16 18:39 amado.alves
From: amado.alves @ 2003-12-16 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

: The Ada 200Y features sound fun...
: ... Java-style interfaces...

I'm surprised this one is still being listed. It has been shown to be completely unnecessary.

* SIGada Conference
@ 2003-12-15 23:01 Chris Miller
From: Chris Miller @ 2003-12-15 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone care to post a summary of what went on at this conference.

Anything interesting ???

Chris Miller