From: "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com>
To: "'Randy Brukardt'" <randy@rrsoftware.com>, <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Provisional Standards was RE: Ada.Networks.Sockets hierarchy for standardization?  (sf:ada0y-net-std)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:47:38 -0700
Date: 2003-06-02T20:47:38-07:00	[thread overview]

We already have a group on building Ada APIs for XML. I believe that I am
the Chair. I believe that we should minimize the contents of the Ada
standard, yet maximize the contents of standardized Ada libraries. The
creation and modification of libraries often is a continuous process. For
instance, none of us knows what the detailed structure of XML will be at the
end of 5 years. However, we can design a system for creating, what I would
call provisional standards, i.e. a binding for which we have a consensus
with the understanding that it may have to be changed in the future.

An additional virtue of the use of provisional standards is that they can be
extensively tested by implementation and use prior to their formally being
incorporated into Ada.

Parenthetically, I have no strong attachment to the term provisional
standard. If there is a better or more precise term, so be it.

Bob Leif