* Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-01  0:18 Marius Amado Alves
       [not found] ` <0jl9c1t1r94bfjvja4tk8kl23q178c5o9l@4ax.com>
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2005-07-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I'm starting a multilingual (w.r.t. programming language) project. The
languages include Ada, Java and R. Some central parts are in Java, and
the other languages are used in satellite parts. At this point we're
still discussing the means of interfacing between languages. One good
solution for the Ada-Java interface would be, on the Ada side, to be
able to import/bind Java classes and packages, and generate JBC. Is
this viable? Which GNAT version? Any examples? Thanks a lot. To
illustrate, a Java unit that the Ada part needs to import follows.

package usage;

         // Encapsulates data for a single usage log entry
         class Entry

                 // Usage log entry with given data
                 Entry(
                         User user,
                         Action action,
                         String origin,  // identifies point in GUI that
                                         // triggered this action
                         Date date)

         // Query on the usage log
         class Query

                 // creates new query
                 Query()

                 // list entries of given users
                 // set null for all users (default)
                 setUsers(Users[])

                 // list entries with given actions
                 // set null for all actions (default)
                 setActions(Action[])

                 // return only entries after given date
                 // set null to begin with first recorded entry (default)
                 setBeginDate(Date begin)

                 // return only entries before given date
                 // set null to end with last recorded entry (default)
                 setEndDate(Date end)

                 // execute query with current restrictions
                 usage.execute()

                 // returns iterator with each Entry matching this query
                 Iterator iterator();

* Re: Ada-Java interface
       [not found] ` <0jl9c1t1r94bfjvja4tk8kl23q178c5o9l@4ax.com>
@ 2005-07-01  9:01   ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2005-07-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>> solution for the Ada-Java interface would be, on the Ada side, to be
>> able to import/bind Java classes and packages, and generate JBC. Is
>> this viable? Which GNAT version? Any examples? Thanks a lot. To
>> illustrate, a Java unit that the Ada part needs to import follows.
>>
> 	The old, unsupported?, JGNAT might have been the answer you seek
> -- as I recall (having never used it) it compiled Ada into java byte
> codes.

Hmm... I found this statement by Robert Dewar:

"... so people know, the status of JGNAT is that we have kept
the sources updated to the minimal extent that they compile, but we
no longer support this product and it was never fully completed. This
means that the sources in their current state are probably quite far
from being usable." (Robert Dewar, on gcc@gcc.gnu.org, 07 Jul 2004)

So it seems JGNAT is a no go. (Or is it?)

There is also reference to a similar tool from Intermetrics. Anyone
knows? (And does it have 'Unrestricted_Access? :-) Thanks a lot.

* Re: Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-01 15:20 Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2005-07-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Comp. Lang. Ada

   Another approach would be to use A# and to use Microsoft's
   .NET and Java/J2EE Interoperability
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/java/interop/default.aspx
   "No application is an island, and the need to interoperate is common. The
links on this page discuss how best to write code and systems that
interoperate between .NET and Java/J2EE."
   Bob Leif
   -------
   Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:01:05 +0100
   From: Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves@netcabo.pt>
   Subject: Re: Ada-Java interface

   To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

       [not found] <200507011520.j61FKWLZ018471@mail730.megamailservers.com>
@ 2005-07-01 15:38 ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2005-07-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On 1 Jul 2005, at 16:20, Robert C. Leif wrote:

>    Another approach would be to use A# and to use Microsoft's
>    .NET and Java/J2EE Interoperability...

Good idea. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

* Re: Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-01 18:42 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-07-01 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:20:38 -0700, Robert C. Leif wrote:

>    Another approach would be to use A# and to use Microsoft's
>    .NET and Java/J2EE Interoperability
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/java/interop/default.aspx
>    "No application is an island, and the need to interoperate is common. The
> links on this page discuss how best to write code and systems that
> interoperate between .NET and Java/J2EE."

Any limitations on Ada side?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-03  3:38     ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2005-07-03  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Marius> "... so people know, the status of JGNAT is that we have
    Marius> kept the sources updated to the minimal extent that they
    Marius> compile, but we no longer support this product and it was
    Marius> never fully completed. This means that the sources in
    Marius> their current state are probably quite far from being
    Marius> usable." (Robert Dewar, on gcc@gcc.gnu.org, 07 Jul 2004)

What happened to this project?

It looked like showing a lot of potential.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

* Re: Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-03 11:15       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-07-03 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <sa4vf3s8sp7.fsf@snoopy.microcomaustralia.com.au>, Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

>     Marius> "... so people know, the status of JGNAT is that we have
>     Marius> kept the sources updated to the minimal extent that they
>     Marius> compile, but we no longer support this product and it was
>     Marius> never fully completed. This means that the sources in
>     Marius> their current state are probably quite far from being
>     Marius> usable." (Robert Dewar, on gcc@gcc.gnu.org, 07 Jul 2004)
>
> What happened to this project?
>
> It looked like showing a lot of potential.

Not to the (non-)customers.

* Re: Ada-Java interface
@ 2005-07-03 12:07         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-07-03 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Jul 2005 06:15:29 -0500, Larry Kilgallen wrote:

>>     Marius> "... so people know, the status of JGNAT is that we have
>>     Marius> kept the sources updated to the minimal extent that they
>>     Marius> compile, but we no longer support this product and it was
>>     Marius> never fully completed. This means that the sources in
>>     Marius> their current state are probably quite far from being
>>     Marius> usable." (Robert Dewar, on gcc@gcc.gnu.org, 07 Jul 2004)
>>
>> What happened to this project?
>>
>> It looked like showing a lot of potential.
>
> Not to the (non-)customers.

In the first iteration... What about the second?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov