From: "amado.alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
Subject: RE: style Q: type .. is new String;
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:17:58 -0000
Date: 2004-01-09T17:17:58+00:00	[thread overview]

>>Though I create new types regularly for numeric variables, I've only
>>rarely used other than the standard String type.  That saves doing type
>>conversions, but it would be nice to have strong type checking help me
>>detect errors.  Do other folks use new String types a lot and find it
>>works out well?

>No.  But my reason is different.  I use Bounded_String a lot...

Me too.  And I also use Unbounded_String a lot because it has the wonderful feature of memory magic (no memory associated with a US object is lost upon assignment or scope exit).  (Shameless publicity: I'll expound this memory magic approach to container design in Ada-Europe 2004 in the half day tutorial "No Pointers, Great Programs". See you there ;-)