From: "David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
To: "srouse" <srouse@iastate.edu>, <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: what are the created ~b files when using -g with gnatmake
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:45:50 -0500
Date: 2003-07-16T12:45:50-05:00	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "srouse" <srouse@iastate.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:59 AM

> when I do a gnatmake with the -g option for debugging it creates new
> ~b*.adb, ~b*.ads, ~b*.ali, and ~b*.o files.  I was wondering what
> these files are and how they are used when debugging the ada program?

First, let me say that these files are _not_ named "~b*.adb, ~b*.ads,
~b*.ali, and ~b*.o", but rather "b~*.adb, b~*.ads, b~*.ali, and b~*.o".

Next, let me say that these files are created regardless of whether the -g
option is used.  What is different with the -g option is that the files are
not deleted at the completion of the gnatmake process, because they are
potentially needed when debugging.

The best way to find out what things are for in the GNAT compilation
system is to read the documentation provided with GNAT.

Here is a pertinent excerpt from that documentation:

If no errors are detected, the binder produces a main program, in Ada
by default, that contains calls to the elaboration procedures of those
compilation unit that require them, followed by a call to the main program.
This Ada program is compiled to generate the object file for the main
program. The name of the Ada file is `b~xxx.adb' (with the
corresponding spec `b~xxx.ads') where xxx is the name of the main
program unit.