* different compilers: different standard types?????
@ 2004-03-19  7:33 Riccardo
From: Riccardo @ 2004-03-19  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks !

My problem was of course not to define new types but to use the same type
(with the same source files!) on both the consoles (a Sun Spark and an Alpha
Digital ).

So in defining new types I have to be sure that I don't have to manage
different source codes.

I'm looking for a sort of pragma that should help me to share the needs of
the two implementations (as the "conditional compilation" in C).

I saw that the pragma System is a deprecated one.

Is there something useful that allows the operation?

* Re: different compilers: different standard types?????
@ 2004-03-19 13:10 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-03-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Riccardo" <kk@kk.com> wrote in message
> My problem was of course not to define new types but to use the same type
> (with the same source files!) on both the consoles (a Sun Spark and an
Alpha
> Digital ).
>
> So in defining new types I have to be sure that I don't have to manage
> different source codes.
>
> I'm looking for a sort of pragma that should help me to share the needs of
> the two implementations (as the "conditional compilation" in C).
>
> I saw that the pragma System is a deprecated one.
>
> Is there something useful that allows the operation?

But surely the solution to your problem is to simply not use predefined
types? Define your own with the range you require or use the type in package
Interfaces.

* Portable types
@ 2004-03-19 13:23 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-03-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Riccardo" <kk@kk.com> writes:

> Thanks !
>
> My problem was of course not to define new types but to use the same type
> (with the same source files!) on both the consoles (a Sun Spark and an Alpha
> Digital ).
>
> So in defining new types I have to be sure that I don't have to manage
> different source codes.
>
> I'm looking for a sort of pragma that should help me to share the needs of
> the two implementations (as the "conditional compilation" in C).
>
> I saw that the pragma System is a deprecated one.
>
> Is there something useful that allows the operation?

I'm not clear what you are asking.

Apparently you want to write some source code that is portable between
a Sun Spark (running what OS?) and Compaq Alpha (Digital was bought by
Compaq; I don't think they make Alphas anymore) (running what OS?).

Ada is very good for writing portable code. But to give you specific
help, I need to see the source that you want to be portable.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Portable types
@ 2004-03-19 17:02   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-03-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote:
:
: Compaq Alpha (Digital was bought by
: Compaq; I don't think they make Alphas anymore)

You can still buy them though, e.g.
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/