From: "Grein, Christoph" <christoph.grein@eurocopter.com>
Subject: Re: Finalization of tagged types - problem
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:48:45 +0100 (MET)
Date: 2003-01-13T12:48:45+01:00	[thread overview]

> > I've published a few years ago in Ada Letters a paper "Add Finalization"
dealing
> > with this problem. You can find it online on my home page
> >
> > <http://home.T-Online.de/home/Christ-Usch.Grein/Ada/Finalization.html>
>
> Christoph, thanks.

You're welcome.

> So is it your opinion: derive from Controlled if it may be needed
> in a derived?

No, it's not my opinion, it's a fact that you cannot add controlledness to
unlimited types later without getting into an ocean of troubled water.

But I would not derive from Controlled just for suspense it might be needed
later. When it turns out to be necessary, this is a design change, so you have
to go back in any case and rethink the design.

> BTW, Is derivance from Controlled a big overhead?

Finalization causes the overhead because a queue of objects to be finalized has
to be maintained for each scope.

Initialization and adjustment are cheap.

Also here, there's no free lunch.